• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DinO by Novoflex (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
Does anybody know DinO? When I searched this forum, it brought me to a dinosaur page. However, DinO is a very lightweight, yet surprisingly sturdy tripod head made by Novoflex, the very innovative German manufacturer. I saw this impressive gadget at a trade show some years ago, with a Leica 77 scope mounted on it. I could hardly believe it. And when I tried it, I was thoroughly impressed. Meanwhile I have owned one for a couple of years, and I am still very much impressed. I used it to replace my Manfrotto 128RC head in order to "shave off" close to 1 kilogram on my travel weight. It is not a cheap piece of equipment which may be why few people seem to even know it. But if weight is one of your concerns, here is a good possibility to look into. There is a small lever that comes with it which I never take along. The only problem I (and my brother who also owns it) have encountered so far: There is a somewhat smallish screw to adjust horizontal movement, and that screw tends to come off on its own. In fact my brother lost it on a trip. You can still use the head though in such a case. But the advice I got from Novoflex helped: they suggested a drop of screw lock. No problems since, and of course, the screw is not really locked, it just moves a bit less easily.

I haven't come across that Novoflex head, though I think I asked on BF if anyone had tried the magicball heads from Novoflex. It's hard to try before you buy with Novoflex products in the U.K. I can only get them from a mail order firm.

Maybe you could post a photo of your Din O head in the forum.
Regards,
Andy

Regards,
Andy[/QUOTE]

Andy, I am not presently equipped to post a picture. But here is the Novoflex web page:

www.novoflex.de/english/html/index_e.htm

Click onto Products and you get to Tripod Heads + Accessories.
From there you should have no problems getting to the DinO Pan Tilt Head pictures (one with the Leica 77 is there, too), encountering Magicball on the way.

Hope this helps.

PS, how can I make the address in such a post so that one can simply click on it? Maybe someone can give me some advice, thanks.

PS, how can I make the address in such a post so that one can simply click on it? Maybe someone can give me some advice, thanks.[/QUOTE]

Oh, marvel, it works all by itself! This whole systems still amazes me every now and then.

/QUOTE]

OK, here are two pictures. I took advantage of my son's visit with his digital camera. One picture shows the light coloured DinO under a small Nikon scope. I added a Manfrotto quick release plate. You can also see the black carrying strap tied around the base of the scope. Together with a light-weight carbon tripod this makes a rather handy set-up to sling over the shoulder.

The other picture shows the heavier APO-Televid 77 with the same tripod-DinO-quick release plate arrangement. This too, is quite sturdy. I never use the smallish handle bar that could be attached to the head. The scope is covered with my own soft leather covering that makes it easier on the hands in cold weather. It could be removed by opening the Velcro fastener, but it has stayed on for years.

To minimize weight, one can also do without the quick release plate.

Attachments

• P1010177medium.jpg
    P1010177medium.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 502
  • P1010184medium.jpg
    P1010184medium.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 422
Last edited:
Robert

Nice photo - you, I presume! Happy New Year!

I cannot find the thread concerning your comment on the loose lens shade on your Nikon EDIII scope - but I was thinking, surely that would be fixed under Nikon's guarantee. I've heard they are a first class company to deal with regarding equipment repairs.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back