• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dimage Z1 (1 Viewer)

Well I've been playing around a little more over the last week ... though non too seriously as Christmas and entertaining the family has rather gotten in the way and like Tom have been suffering from lousy weather !!

However, when I have had the chance I am still finding problems with the autofocus particularly when using the digital zoom - it appears to permanently focus in the foreground about 6 inches infront of the intended subject and the results are either blury or grainy (or both !!). Like Tom I've tried various of the auto settings as well as manual but am consistently getting the same results.

Interestingly, have had better luck indoors with some nice shots of the family (I really do like the inbuilt flash !!). Also, now I've got to grips with it, am finding the macro OK (both indoors and outdoors) - although again the light has not been brilliant to play around too much.

When I manage to prize the computer away from the kids (both old and young !!) I intend to sit and plough my way through the manual and see if I am missing something obvious. I still feel it may be something to do with my technique (never having used autofocus before) ... so I feel I should try and play around a little more before heading back to Jessops. I have also seen results on line that are rather impressive so am coming down to it either being me or this particular camera.

I've got another week off work - so weather permitting (I'm a fair weather photographer), I'll head off to the woods in th enext 7 days and see what I can do to improve!!!

Keep me posted on how you are getting on Tom.

AnnieW

I also treated myself to a Z1 just before Xmas and can't put it down-it feels so comfortable in the hand. The auto focus appears to be quicker than that on my CP4500 and the 10X zoom is a real bonus. I haven't had problems with focus so far, But I feel that it's important to get the settings right . Scrolling the menu is a doddle but I had to turn off the audio, it scares the birds way.
I managed to get out today to try the camera "in the field" and have downloaded a couple of shots taken from inside the car (I was in Wales and was dodging the sleet showers).
So far I'm more than happy with the camera and intend to carry it with me wherever I go.
Regards.

Attachments

• PICT0012.JPG
    PICT0012.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 371
Hi Everyone

It's all gone quiet on this thread, so I thought I would add a bit. I still love my Z1. How about you Annie? I take it everywhere and use it constantly, every day, up to 50 photos. Mainly of wildlife, butterflies, birds, flowers, insects, etc. Macro works very well, but I always take several shots of the same thing. E.g. with butterflies, gradually creeping closer and closer. Select out the good ones on the PC at home. I have got used to the 10x zoom and get some lovely shots. Best to rest the camera on something firm. I occasionally use the Z1 for digiscoping, but you need the zoom well out to get a reasonable picture. Then you have to keep it still. Generally, not recommended for digiscoping.

Brian Fellows

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back