• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (1 Viewer)

the bird

Carpe diem
Going to be going on holiday to South Devon (Kingsbridge area) on Saturday 16th July. :-O

I know about Prawle Point (fan-dabby-dosey) and Slapton, what other places of interest is there in the surrounding area (50 mile radius would be great)

All input would be greatly appreciated!!

John.

(that Black-headed Wagtail better sit tight for the next few days!!!)

The Exe Estuary has got a fair few sites worth a look - Bowling Green Marsh (there was a Marsh Sandpiper a week or so ago), Exmininster Marshes and Dawlish Warren.

You could try Dartmoor for possible Ring Ouzels and Whinchats and a very slim chance of Gropper. Best place is Bennett's Cross on the road north out of Postbridge.

Haldon for Nightjars. I shall be going there for the first time on Thursday as I usually do Aylesbeare. So I can let you know more after then.

Ayelsbeare for Nightjars and Dartford Warblers.

Best buy an OS Map for the South Hams (number 202) and you can go on any featured coastal walk, marshes or pools. Everywhere has good birds.

There is West Charleton Marsh with a decent hide at SX753423. Park at the end of Marsh Lane and walk out to a hide overlooking the estuary and marsh at high tide. Some friendly folk there including a Forum member.

Above all, make sure you go into Salcombe once for some of their superb Salcombe Diary ice cream, the best in the world!

Andrew said:
Above all, make sure you go into Salcombe once for some of their superb Salcombe Diary ice cream, the best in the world!

Salcolme Ice cream - Rum and Raisin is the greatest - the only other place in the country that I know sells it is Great Arley in Midlands - gets it shipped up especially!!!!

John,
try http:/mysite:wanadoo-members.co.uk/southdevonbirds/index.jhtml for latest sightings in South Devon. Have an enjoyable stay.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back