• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DCF ED 8x32? (1 Viewer)

jremmons

Wildlife Biologist
Hi all,
In my search for a nice set of 8x32 binocs with ED glass at a reasonable price I have stumbled upon the Pentax DCF ED 8x32, and was wondering how they compared to other 8x32's in the $400-500 range, such as the Vortex Viper HD 8x32.

Thank you for your time,
Justin

That is a very low price range for that binocular. It is Pentax's top of the line. Eagle Optics sells it for $896.00. It is currently out of stock. It has 17mm eye relief. It also has hybrid aspherical lens elements in it for edge sharpness. You can find some short reviews on them and other sizes in the Pentax Forum here. There was a recent one about getting them at lower gray market prices.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/pentax/pentax-dcf-ed-8x32-binocular

Bob

I haven't seen the Viper but I had the Pentax for a few years and thought it was great. Kinda wish I hadn't sold it.

Excellent color and contrast, great build quality. Plenty sharp (basically as sharp as my 8x32 FL). I kept the FL because it was smaller/lighter.
The Viper, too, would be smaller/lighter. That would probably sway my choice at this point in favor of the Viper.

Pentax ED's come up at bargain prices fairly often. I think I paid $560 for mine, full US warranty.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Bob and Mark,
Thank you for your response; the quality of these optics seems fairly unquestioned which is nice to hear. The price for these is reduced as they are used, and as a result I believe will not be covered under a warranty - although this is something I don't quite understand.

Justin

I didn't realize you had lined up a used Pentax already. No reservations about that choice from me!

I don't remember much about the Pentax warranty. It should have a "worry-free" warranty I think. $25 for any repair maybe? Try to check the Pentax website.

Mark

Mark,

Thank you for your advice. I noticed on the Pentax website that their "Worry-Free" warranty states "...RICOH IMAGING will repair or replace it to the original purchaser..." and that many sites mention the warranty is non-transferable. Although I'm not particularly harsh on my optics, I do a lot of field work and worry that a lack of warranty is a difficult hurdle to overcome.

Justin

I've compared these with the big three of the 8x32 family...Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica and they hold their own just about neck and neck. The narrow FOV is really the only thing that sets them apart. The Meopta 8x32 was right up there with the Pentax too.

I've compared these with the big three of the 8x32 family...Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica and they hold their own just about neck and neck. The narrow FOV is really the only thing that sets them apart. The Meopta 8x32 was right up there with the Pentax too.
I agree, I don't have other 8x32s but I compared them to my 7x42 Zeiss FLs and they hold their own until after sunset or under dark grey skies.

Attachments

• 17IMGP1516_800_x_532_.jpg
    17IMGP1516_800_x_532_.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 240
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back