• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dawlish Warren area (1 Viewer)

I will be spending a week in the Dawlish Warren, Budleigh Salterton area during February, is there any chance of seeing Cirl Buntings in this area. I don't really want to go down the coast as far as Prawle point. Also any information on the "avocet cruises" would be good.
Jackie

Here's a good website http://www.dawlishwarren.co.uk/

I think it's a bit early for Avocet Cruises but there might eb a cruise up the Jurassic Coast if you do a google for Stuart Line Cruises. I think one of them is a wildlife cruise.

As for Cirls a short drive to Berry Head at Brixham should get you them plus other migrants.

There are certainly Cirls in the Starcross-Exminster area, though I don't know how many. Come February, I imagine your best bet will be to search the stubble fields and hope to stumble across a flock. There's an outside chance of a small flock of Woodlarks too - that's been known before now.

You should get Cirls in Exminster in Feb, you can also find them on the outskirts of Teignmouth golf course, or in Torbay at Broadsands. If you want more up to date info nearer the time pm me.

Andy

If you're staying in East Devon, make sure you fit a visit in to Seaton Marshes on the Axe estuary! Its a great spot with some very nice estuary birds. No cirls though, sorry.
I'm beginning to sound like a broken record.
James

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back