• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dartford Warblers Dunwich Heath in Winter (1 Viewer)

George London

Good Morning!

I know there have been a few threads on the above... Mainly concerning directions. However, I am more wondering whether its worth having a go at seeing them at this time of year? Assuming if they are active best time would be first light before it gets busy. Would they be attracted to a bit of meal worm bribery as well?

While I'm at it, any other suggestions as to good places at this time of year in the Minsmere area (I will have a car) much appreciated! I do not have any specific targets apart from the Dartford, but looking for exactly this kind of thing... Local bird and good chance of getting relatively close.

Cheers George

Although I haven't seen Dartford Warbler in the UK (as I left in 1982 when they were rare and far from Manchester) I do see them all the time down here in Portugal where they are very common in all the vast scrublands.

I think more important than the time of day is the weather - windy weather makes them invisible and also rather quiet. A nice calm dry day would be best, especially with sunshine. They show themselves much more in nice conditions. Its fundamental to learn their calls too! I have brought them to me by imitating their call (which to me sounds a bit like a Dunlin). I'm not sure about meal-worms!

Last edited:
Simon is right about time of day & weather, as well as calls. They'll be struggling at the mo to find food with so much snow.

I've seen them on Westelton Heath more easily than Dunwich, but other areas such as Aldringham & Lower Hollesley Common/Sutton Heath have them in smaller numbers.

They are easier in the spring & early summer.

Minsmere is closed at the momment as roads are very icy and in places impassable.

Other good areas include Blythburgh/Walberswick area, North Warren in the near vicinity.

Take a look at Suffolk Birding with BINS website for recent bird news.

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back