• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dartford Warbler - North Wales! (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
Arriving mid morning at World's End, west of Wrexham, John Barber and I found half a dozen birders already there. Like us they were there to see the Black grouse.

Instead they had just found a Dartford warbler! Not only that: it was a singing male! Minutes later we were enjoying close views of the little beauty, singing and calling from the tops of gorse and small conifers.

We did manage one Black grouse (a grey hen, actually) and saw several Common crossbill there too, and found a perched female Merlin.

World's End is a few miles south of Minera along the single track road along the moor top.

Arriving mid morning at World's End, west of Wrexham, John Barber and I found half a dozen birders already there. Like us they were there to see the Black grouse.

Instead they had just found a Dartford warbler! Not only that: it was a singing male! Minutes later we were enjoying close views of the little beauty, singing and calling from the tops of gorse and small conifers.

We did manage one Black grouse (a grey hen, actually) and saw several Common crossbill there too, and found a perched female Merlin.

World's End is a few miles south of Minera along the single track road along the moor top.

A good days birding you have had there, love the Dartford warbler cracking bird. Down in the south where i live we have to climb a lot of mountains to see these beauties......

Last edited:
Sounds like a nice day! DWs have been really hard hit down in Sussex these last two winters, it really is not looking good..............but it only takes a few and a few mild winters to get them going again. Hopefully your singing male will find a mate!

Sounds like a great day out H :t:

Yeah, not bad, Larry.

We finished at Moore nr. Warrington - no rare gulls amongst the thousands - but a Peregrine going for a bait ball of Starlings high up in the sunshine rounded the day off nicely.

Sounds like a nice day! DWs have been really hard hit down in Sussex these last two winters, it really is not looking good..............but it only takes a few and a few mild winters to get them going again. Hopefully your singing male will find a mate!

Not much chance of that Joanne, they're like hen's teeth up round these parts! Seems strange that one should head north during a harsh winter. The habitat is just right - if the altitude a little high.

Not much chance of that Joanne, they're like hen's teeth up round these parts! Seems strange that one should head north during a harsh winter. The habitat is just right - if the altitude a little high.

For all you know, it may have been fledged just a few miles away, the altitude won't be much of a problem to them ;)

Andy.

Any chance it could fly across the irish sea. Dartford Warbler is top of my most wanted list, Only because its my ringtone:-O Ger.

Nice seeing this bird today. It was showing well for about 20mins when I arrived at1130, then it disappeared until 1345 when I spotted it on the ridge above. Then it came back down to the track for a few minutes. Excellent bird + grand weather today!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back