• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CZJ T3M (2 Viewers)

To my knowledge only one prism surface of Schmidt-Pechan prisms has to be supplied with a metal mirror, since the light rays do not enter under an angle of perfect reflection on that surface leading to light losses.
That's my understanding as well. But Tringa (if I understand his posts correctly) was talking about metalizing the other surfaces. To me it seems that would make no difference, given that total internal reflection would have taken place off those surfaces ... but I'd be more than glad for someone more knowledgeable to explain why that may not be so.

What a wonderful fount of both knowledge and rambling conjecture, but what does any of that have to do with the original question which was specifically about the coatings of CZJ between 1978 and 1991?

To me it seems that would make no difference, given that total internal reflection would have taken place off those surfaces ...
The point would be a way of eliminating phase interference at the roof edge with then available technology.

Some of the most interesting content on BF appears in digressions from the original topic (not that it's always the case).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back