• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cyprus - Protoras/Agia Napa in November (1 Viewer)

GavinM

Improving user
Hi all, just found out I have some leave in a couple of weeks and am going to the above part of Cyprus. I'd really like to take a couple of days away from the town and go and find some birds. Anything really but particularly keen on Raptors and local specialities.

I've seen the flamingos at Larnaca on a previous visit.

I know this is pretty specific but any pointers gratefully recieved. Cheers.

Hi Gavin,

Having visited Cyprus twice now, once in August (peak raptor time) and once in late October/November i've got a fair idea of where to go.

Firstly though, may I suggest to you the book 'A Birdwatching Guide to Cyprus' by Arthur Stagg and Graham Hearl, two respected birders who have written books about many Meditterranean countries. Also of interest to you will be the Cyprus bird hotline, which gives an idea of what's about, though I no longer have the number, if you search on Google you'll find something no doubt.

I stayed in Larnaca in August, though i visited the area in November, and there's a plethora of bird site to keep you going. These are:

Cape Greco:
This peninsula can be found south of Protoras, and is a hotspot for Eleonora's Falcons. You could also encounter late migrants/coastal species here, and I imagine there is a possibility of Greater Sand Plover.

Achna Dam: In my opinion the best site in Cyprus, it is very hard to find, but is basically located inland and inbetween Larnaca and Limassol, about 1/2 hours drive from Larnaca. Many species can be found here, and in November i had Spur Winged Plover, Collared Prat, White Pelican, Squacco Heron, Glossy Ibis and Great Reed Warbler, and yielded many more species when i visited in summer.

Askopremos Dam: This is near Paphos, so possibly a litte too far across, but in winter Moustached Warbler may be found here, along with Finsch's Wheatear and Bonelli's Eagle. Near here is Avagas Gorge, where Wallcreeper winter.

Kensington Cliffs: This is near to Limassol, and offers the best views on the island of Eleonoras Falcon and Griffon Vulture.

Paphos Headland: Again maybe too far across, but for me this site yeilded Greater Sand Plover, Isabelline Wheatear, Pygmy Cormorant and Short Toed Lark.

Larnaca Sewage Works: Probably the second best site in Cyprus, and in early winter a truly amazing spectacle. There is a purpose built hide near the salt lake at Larnaca near the airport, and this looks out across two purpose built pools. In early winter these hold Audouins Gull, Slender Billed Gull, Spoonbill, Marsh Sand, Temmincks Stint, Greater Flamingo, White Pelican, 100s of Black Necked Grebe and other wildfowl, with litteraly 1000's of shoveler etc. In the surrounding field Calandra and Bimaculated Lark are a possibility.

There is lots to go at on Cyprus, and i've only touched the surface, though i reccommend purchasing the book afore mentioned, as all these sites are covered with maps etc etc, and a checklist.

Have a good holiday and hope this helps!!!

Dan

dwayne950 - just wanted to say thanks for the advice, totally failed to get out of Famagusta area, apart from a fruitless visit to Larnaca but had a great time watching Eleanora's at Cape Greco and Kingfishers at Smuggler's caves in Agia Napa. Definitely going back.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back