• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cup Fungus. (1 Viewer)

Stonechat4

I was unable to climb the wall to get closer for more detail with a smartphone, but I reckon this fungus is Scarlet Elfcup. As I see it, the lookalike Ruby Elfcup is only distinguished through microscopic study to separate the two. I'm interested in any comments on this and the status of it.

Attachments

• Scarlet Elfcup.jpg
    Scarlet Elfcup.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Not sure why you (appear to) favour one species over the other. (I have no view on the ID.)
Indeed, these cannot be identified without microscopical details, and then difficult. Scarlet supposed to be the commonest, but I suspect this impression comes from the vast majority or records that default to this species in the absence of microscopy? Ruby probably not infrequent.

Not sure why you (appear to) favour one species over the other. (I have no view on the ID.)
'Appear to' and 'supposed to be the commonest', both give the answer to why I favoured Scarlet over Ruby....Life was never meant to be easy!

Thanks for the responses guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back