• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuba (1 Viewer)

jezrobson

Hi
Does anyone have any very recent info/tips on Cuba (ie last six months). In particular details of the Zepata area or contact details for guides?
Jez

The authorities tend to allocate you with a guide, but we had one, name of Esdray (sp) who helped us find the bee hummer near Playa Larga as well as the sparrow and wren in Zappatta. There was also another guide, Orlando who guided at a small reserve, Bernejas, good for owls and quail dove.

tony.saw said:
The authorities tend to allocate you with a guide, but we had one, name of Esdray (sp)

This wasn't my experience at all in my brief visit to the Zapata peninsula in mid-May 2005. Upon arrival at Playa Larga, I dropped by the National Park office in the village and asked about going birding. Angel Martinez was in the office at the time (only person there actually) and agreed to take me out the next day. Prices are fixed. Angel and his brother Orlando are considered the better guides in the area, but I'm sure there are others. It may not be so easy on a walk-in during the busier springtime when the guides may be booked in advance. I had no money and no car thus we couldn't visit the Park proper which is where the Wren and Rail hang out. However, we worked it out to visit a few good spots and saw some nice specialties including Bee Hummer on the nest and some others.
Look for Cuban Nightjar after dusk along a road that leads west out of Playa Larga.
This is all off the top of my head... I'll check my notes when I get a chance.
hope this helps a little,
Brad

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back