• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crossbills! (2 Viewers)

Ptarmi

Dick Glasgow
Walking my dogs on the slopes of Slieveanorra, Co. Antrim last Tuesday afternoon, I was blessed with wonderful views of an absolutely gorgeous pair of Crossbills, in the early Spring sunshine.

I'd seen breeding pairs before in Aviaries, up in Elgin, Aberdeenshire, but had never been lucky enough to see them in the wild, until now.

Surely these must be the most attractive Finches we have here?

How common & widespread are they in Ulster?

Cheers
Dick

Hi Dick.

Nice to "meet" you. I have heard Crossbills in Armagh. Gosford park just outside Markethill is a bit of a stronghold for them. Also good for Greenfinch as well.

I would love to see them as well but they are often high in the canopy.

I bet you were pleased to see them.

Well done.

QC

i have had 30 plus birds at cairn wood near holywood co.down i agree with you such a great bird all the best john

i have had 30 plus birds at cairn wood near holywood co.down i agree with you such a great bird all the best john

Lucky you John.

They're such chunky wee guys, I think it'd be hard to confuse them with any of our other Finches, even if all you saw was their silhouette.

Crossbills on YouTube

I was lucky, cause my pair were sitting on top of small hardwoods, between plantations, so I got a great view of them both.

Cheers
Dick

Last edited:
totally agree had good views of them on top of trees and flying between the trees they were calling if you are ever down this way call in there park your car in the car park and walk up the track on a hill when you get to the top there is a bench and they fly between the trees good spot for siskins also cheers john

Lightning really can strike twice! :-O

Yes, I saw another pair of Crossbill last Sunday, this time in the forest on the southern slopes of Slieveanorra.

I guess I'm really getting tuned into their chunky Chuck Chuck call. |;|

N.B. I see that someone else saw 8 Crossbill up on the Antrim Plateau the other day.

Cheers
Dick

Heard Crossbills again, in Slieveanorra Forest, last Thursday & then while I was up there again this afternoon, I managed to get a couple of poor snaps of a female calling, from the top of a tree.

2796494640102727105S200x200Q85.jpg

2442141580102727105S200x200Q85.jpg

Cheers
Dick

Recently saw a flock atop fir trees on Bineveneagh Mountainside, Co.Derry, must have been 15 -20 of them

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back