• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

dalat

Switzerland
Hi, I'm considering a trip to Costa Rica in Summer. I have Garrigues' Birds of Costa Rica in the first edition, but no other book covering the region.

Is it worthwhile to get the second edition of the Garrigues book? What are the improvements on the first edition?

Or would the Valley/Dyer Birds of Central America be a better buy to complement my first edition Garrigues?

And what to expect from the upcoming Dyer/Howell guide?

Thanks for some advice!
Florian

Re your first post: I think there were some taxonomy updates between the versions, just to mention one advantage. Whether Vallery and Dyer is more up to date is a question that I don’t know the answer to.
Niels

Hi, I'm considering a trip to Costa Rica in Summer. I have Garrigues' Birds of Costa Rica in the first edition, but no other book covering the region.

Is it worthwhile to get the second edition of the Garrigues book? What are the improvements on the first edition?

Or would the Valley/Dyer Birds of Central America be a better buy to complement my first edition Garrigues?

And what to expect from the upcoming Dyer/Howell guide?

Thanks for some advice!
Florian
Vallely and Dyer isn't completely up to date taxonomically, but then I don't think second ed. Garrigues & Dean is either. In general I like the illustrations in V & D better, and (at least until recently), it was a free pdf from project Muse

Thanks Andy! I'm not a hardcore herper though, more a general interest in the critters I may meet while birding. This here seems to be a compact entry option covering both amphibians and reptiles: Amphibians and Reptiles of Costa Rica: A Pocket Guide
Anyone has experience with that one?
No experience with it, but I just ordered it now! Looks most attractive. I have a very large book (by J.M. Savage, Chicago Press) that I bought about 20 years ago and never really used it. It would be completely unsuitable for a trip anyway. But this one looks nice.

I also have the Ecotravellers' Wildlife Guide by Les Beletsky. It's about 23+ years old and is one of those books that are useful to provide an overview, but not as a really serious FG. It has some plates on most animal groups, with emphasis on birds and mammals, then also some plants.

Thanks Andy! I'm not a hardcore herper though, more a general interest in the critters I may meet while birding. This here seems to be a compact entry option covering both amphibians and reptiles: Amphibians and Reptiles of Costa Rica: A Pocket Guide
Anyone has experience with that one?
I purchased this for use in Panama, as I couldn't find a useful book for that country. It's not the best guide for Panama obviously since its not designed for it, but it will probably work for your more casual needs. I would personally struggle with any tough ids though, since I am not so sure the guide does a great job in illustrating diagnostic features.

I personally wouldn't get V2 of the Garrigues guide. There have been a few small changes but nothing that really outmodes the old book. If you are keen for supplemental info or another guide, Vallely + Dyer is excellent and will give you a second set of plates and different / more info in the text. and covers other countries for future visits. But it's a bit big to haul around in the field if that is your plan. Personally I have V1 of Garrigues and birded CR several times with it, a few months in total, and it's completely sufficient. I have since gotten Vallely + Dyer but on a recent trip to CR I didn't even bring it, I just grabbed Garrigues V1.

To each their own, of course. I dislike carrying field guides or any excess weight so any more I usually just rely on Merlin or a PDF copy of a book in the field and have a paper book back in the room.

I personally wouldn't get V2 of the Garrigues guide. There have been a few small changes but nothing that really outmodes the old book. If you are keen for supplemental info or another guide, Vallely + Dyer is excellent and will give you a second set of plates and different / more info in the text. and covers other countries for future visits. But it's a bit big to haul around in the field if that is your plan. Personally I have V1 of Garrigues and birded CR several times with it, a few months in total, and it's completely sufficient. I have since gotten Vallely + Dyer but on a recent trip to CR I didn't even bring it, I just grabbed Garrigues V1.

To each their own, of course. I dislike carrying field guides or any excess weight so any more I usually just rely on Merlin or a PDF copy of a book in the field and have a paper book back in the room.
Thanks a lot, good advice! Maybe I wait until the new book from Dyer/Howell is out, might be a more lightweight complement to Garrigues V2. The drawings are perhaps the same as for the Vallely/Dyer...

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back