• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica trip: best combination of localities (1 Viewer)

StevePreddy

I'm planning a trip to Costa Rica next year, probably three weeks long, and the provisional plan is to spend three nights in each of six localities, with a night near San Jose at the start and end. But with so many to choose from, which combination of six localities would get me the best selection of birds?

Under consideration are: Monteverde, La Selva / Selva Verde, Arenal, Bosque de Paz, Savegre, Carara, Manuel Antonio, Volcan Poas area, Bosque del Rio Tigre, Rancho Naturalista ... which ones to miss out?

Any thoughts?

Steve

You can drop Carara if you do the Osa; I would suggest 2 nights at Esquinas. I've never heard of Manuel Antonio and am fairly sure there is nothing there you can't get elsewhere. Poas can be replaced by an Irazu day trip and Cerro de la Muerte (from Saverge or based somewhere on the ridge, eg Parasio Quetzales).

The Birdquest route is reasonably well optimised, perhaps with tweaks.

cheers, alan

I might suggest that you consider a day visit to Tapanti NP, at Turrialba and relatively close to Rancho naturalista so both places could be covered, great for ornate hawk-eagle, ochre breasted antpitta, rufous breasted antthrush, green fronted lancebill and many more interesting spp.

In the downside consider that Tapanti is among some of the rainiest sites of CR.

I agree with Steve, much of what you see at Carara you could see it at Osa with some good chances for a local endemic; black cheeked anttanager, BUT, Carara offers a much better access to different habitats such as the Tarcoles river and river mouth, it lies in transitional zone between rain and dry forests, therefore offering an interesting variety of species. Forest at Carara is less dense than the one at Esquinas so it yields better chances for tinamous and ground dwellers, 3 weeks is a good time, you should be able to cover Carara, Esquinas logde, as you head south down the coast from the central valley, and then make your return to the central valley via cerro de la muerte and do Mirador de Quetzales (a quick stop at the communication towers should yield volcano junco, and timberline wren, so no need to visit Irazu volcano), Savegre and then Tapanti (or instead Rancho naturalista) and after the amazing La selva.

Manuel Antonio is among the best national parks for the general wildlife observation, with easy-todo trails, thus making it popular for families and nature lovers, crowded crowded crowded, no good for birds as a morning should produce about 30ish/50ish spp that you can get else where, however areas surrounding Manuel Antonio that not many birders get to read about are great indeed and yield respectful lists. However it is best suggested for the birder that travels with the family and has to divide the trip between family and birding.

in route back from La Selva consider Cinchona or one of the volcanoes.

My 5 cents.
Pura vida!
Johan

Don't miss the "new" Uniform Crake site in Fortuna (Arenal area); also tame White-throated Crakes.

San Gerado field station is good for Sooty-faced Finch, Purplish-backed Quail-dove (at least 2015), Azure-naped Jay, Zimmer's Tyrannulet although the Umbrellabird lek seemed deserted in March-April this year.

cheers, alan

, so no need to visit Irazu volcano),

..but Irazu is easiest for Buffy-crowned Wood-partridge! Easy to hear but difficult to see (we got great views of a pair) and I think Bare-shanked Screech Owl is much easier than above Saverage (Dusky Nightjar easy at both)

cheers, alan

Don't miss the "new" Uniform Crake site in Fortuna (Arenal area); also tame White-throated Crakes.

San Gerado field station is good for Sooty-faced Finch, Purplish-backed Quail-dove (at least 2015), Azure-naped Jay, Zimmer's Tyrannulet although the Umbrellabird lek seemed deserted in March-April this year.

cheers, alan

Pity we didn't know about the Uniform Crake site when staying in Fortuna in late March !!

There was at least one Umbrellabird within reach of San Gerardo FS at the end of March - local guides found it a few days before we were there, Birdquest missed it but then the field station manager found it again for our group - but I had opted out to do my own thing that afternoon unfortunately as there was no sign again next day.

Steve

the provisional plan is to spend three nights in each of six localities, with a night near San Jose at the start and end. But with so many to choose from, which combination of six localities would get me the best selection of birds?

Steve: Since 2008 this is the first year I will not have (with varying combinations of friends) visited CR, and our itineraries have run the gamut from something like you describe to more concentrated attention on fewer destinations. During three days you could just scratch the surface in any one site at tropical latitudes (see Hilty's discussion of inherent species rarity in Birds of Tropical America). Any trip to Costa Rica can be rewarding, but you might seriously consider limiting your focus to one general region and fewer sites. In the central & southern Pacific you could do much worse that Bosque del Rio Tigre, Hacienda Baru instead of Manuel Antonio (see http://www.haciendabaru.com/), and Cerro Lodge near Carara (http://www.hotelcerrolodge.com/. Our group would more than likely finish our stay with a couple of days at Poas Lodge or La Boruca, each convenient enough to the airport for even early transfers but also located near some quality patches of habitat.

Alternatively, you could combine the southern Caribbean Slope (Manzanillo, for example) with the Sarapiqui region (La Selva, Selva Verde, and or Tirimbina), from which a trip to either Poas Lodge or La Boruca would require less than half a day (without birding stops).

Gary H

Three weeks is a good amount of time to work with. Not sure if others have mentioned the following and I sorry if I end up reiterating. Where you go depends on how you want to do the trip. If you hope to twitch as many species as possible, then yes, follow the Birdquest route and hire a guide/guides. That will cover most spots and species.
If more focused on photography and spending more time with the birds, there are a lot of great sites for that but these stand out:
Rancho Naturalista
Nature Pavilion
Laguna del Lagarto
Paraiso de Quetzales
Bosque del Rio Tigre
Carara area
among various other sites

Keep in mind that it will take longer to travel apparently short distances than expected because of slow, windy mountain roads.

For Osa birds, Bosque del Rio Tigre is excellent and good for logistics. Other good lodges as well further afield, especially Luna Lodge- off the beaten track but top quality forest, very good guide, Turquoise Cotinga is common, etc., etc.
Esquinas Lodge and nearby also get most of same birds including good chance at Uniqform Crake and might be better for logistics.

Johan sums it up for Manuel Antonio, he should know as he is one of the top guides for that area. He and Roy see a lot of good stuff there and nearby.

Carara- one of the best birding sites in Central America. Even if you visit Osa/Golfo Dulce spots, still good to visit for clean up on lowland forest species, mangroves, and dry forest. Note that although Carara is still good, parts of the forest have been getting drier and several humid forest species aren't as common as in the past.

San Gerardo field station- fantastic site even if umbrellabird is not seen. Some overlap with Tapanti (also fantastic).

Some out of the way places to consider:

Laguna del Lagarto- great lowland birding, excellent photography (feeder with toucans, etc.).

Puerto Viejo de Talamanca-Manzanillo- various options for accommodation, great lowland birding in easily accessible habitat often right around hotel, best during migration. Similar to La Selva area and maybe better in some ways.

Cano Negro- actually not too far off the regular track, can be done from Arenal. Several species tough to find elsewhere.

Finally, off the regular birding track because it doesn't fit in with most tours but the habitat is excellent, sites on the road from San Ramon to la Fortuna. This area is a gold mine and little known for birding because tours don't get there. Check it out- I was down that way a few days ago with clients and stopped at the Cocora hummingbird garden as planned. I had heard bellbirds there last month and hoped to get them as well as other cloud forest birds. Weather was bad, hummingbirds were good (White-bellied Mountain-Gem, 7 to 8 other species) but other birds didn't cooperate. BUT, when I asked about bellbirds, the receptionists said, "Yeah, we have still heard them but far away. But, we saw umbrellabird."

I was like, "What? How often do you see it?"

She said, "Oh we see it once in a while. It's common but you know, you never know when you will see it from March to June".

Um, common? Not really, but more regular than other sites!

So, I haven't seen it at that spot but wasn't surprised because habitat and elevation is perfect and I have seen them near there. So, Cocora might be a fair spot for umbrellabird from March to June.
Also, the birding guide at San Luis canopy just down the road said that umbrellabird is pretty much guaranteed at certain times of the year- I still need to find out exactly when.

You can also find plenty of info at more blog (or maybe more than you want to look at!).

I'd certainly recommend a night at Cano Negro, with an evening and morning boat trips. The Grackle is easy at one of the lagoons and Yellow-breasted Crake is possible in the same area.

cheers, alan

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back