• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corsica info (2 Viewers)

birdboybowley

Well-known member.....apparently so ;)
England
Hey all, have manged to squeeze in a cheeky 3.5 day getaway on 20th May and was wondering if anyone had any great sites to visiting? We're flying into Bastia and staying west of there, will have a car so no worries on distance. Obviously the nuthatch and finch are top priorities but any other nuggets you may have gleaned will, as always, be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Ads

You'll be a bit late for migration but you might be able to catch up with some late migrants (Icterine Warbler, Red Footed Falcon or Honey Buzzard for example).

The info given in Paul's trip report about the endemics should allow you to find the Nuthatch, Warbler and Finch.

A trip to Asco or Restonica valleys is good for endemics too (but I still prefer the Col de Sorba area for these), Golden Eagle and (with luck and careful scanning of the ridges) Bearded Vulture are also present in these areas.

If you're staying in the west of Corsica, you could pay a visit to l'Ostriconi beach : shorebirds and herons are possible at the mouth of the little river but last year, White Rumped Swifts have been nesting in Corsica for the first time, I can't disclose the exact site but birds have been seen over this river along with the 3 other species of swifts and swallows (including Red-Rumped). It's mostly a matter of luck though and with only 3,5 days available you might prefer to focus on the endemics.
Behind the beach are fields where I observed Woodchat Shrike (subsp.badius).

Feel free to contact me if you needed more info and enjoy your trip !

Does anyone know how easy the endemics are in shite weather.....? Forecast looks like a lovely washout......can't wait 🤬😡🙄

Does anyone know how easy the endemics are in shite weather.....? Forecast looks like a lovely washout......can't wait 🤬😡🙄
It's been terrible weather all spring this year...
But this past couple of weeks, weather forecast annouced lots rain (in Corte area) and it turned out be gloomy grey sky but not so much rain...

I guess the endemics are still possible ;)

Saw my Nuthatch in dark and drizzling weather, after a shower. Active enough!

I was there last year, my sightings can be found here, just have a look through: sightings.
Any specific questions and we should be able to help you.

Thanks for the replies everyone - got back yesterday. Lovely island, loads of birds everywhere making me realise just how dead the UK is......
Weather was a bit dicey Saturday but glorious the rest of the days except higher up when the clouds.were lower down 😂
Nuthatch was easy at Col de Sorba and showed fantastically in thick mist on the Saturday but not as well in brilliant sun the following day. Citril finches were easy too at Restonica Valley and Le Fortin de Pasciola.
Moltoni's Warbler showed brilliantly at the latter place also and Marmora's posed in good habitat along the T-20 westwards out of the airport 👍

Thanks for the replies everyone - got back yesterday. Lovely island, loads of birds everywhere making me realise just how dead the UK is......
Weather was a bit dicey Saturday but glorious the rest of the days except higher up when the clouds.were lower down 😂
Nuthatch was easy at Col de Sorba and showed fantastically in thick mist on the Saturday but not as well in brilliant sun the following day. Citril finches were easy too at Restonica Valley and Le Fortin de Pasciola.
Moltoni's Warbler showed brilliantly at the latter place also and Marmora's posed in good habitat along the T-20 westwards out of the airport 👍
Glad you managed to see all endemics in spite of the weather ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back