• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confiding Leopard Kaeng Krachen (1 Viewer)

cassowary

I saw a confident leopard (came right up to my car early this morning at approx KM 25)

This leopard has been showing well apparently for the last couple of months particularly from KM20 to KM27.

BTW a normal car can currently make it across the streams easily and to the top of KK if you are reasonably cautious. I have done it twice so far this trip. The biggest problem is the possibility of a puncture, not clearance.

There were at least three confiding Leopards at that spot when I visited last month. I saw two young animals resting on the road around noon, and a tour group saw them with their mother later in the day. Here's a photo.

Attachments

• LeopardSmaller.jpg
    LeopardSmaller.jpg
    776.4 KB · Views: 91
Pasted below is part of my OBC post from back in MARCH/APRIL 2008 - old news but hopefully interesting,

[Edit: just read the previous elephant thread - pretty sobering]

Andy.

ASIAN LEOPARD AT KAENG KRACHAN
During two drives down the track after birding the Km32 area we were
fortunate to see three Asian Leopards. The first two were an adult male
and a probable adult female with a damaged tail. Both gave good views
just after dark at approximately Km25. The male in particular showed
very well and at one point walked slowly up to the vehicle prompting the
rapid closure of all windows!

The third leopard was much closer to Bang Krang and seen by WN and VP
late one afternoon, a somewhat darker specimen which again gave
amazingly close views beside the road (Km16).

The park would appear to be a good place to catch up with this
impressive cat, local birders and park rangers being not at all
surprised that we'd seen them. Driving the track after dark is
discouraged by the rangers, presumably to avoid disturbance to Elephants
and the associated safety issues - but it is surely the best method to
try for views. We can only suggest that visitors check on site for the
current rules and take any opportunities available. Perhaps we were
just very lucky...

Last edited:
This is a piccie of the Leopard (I have full permission from the photographer) - I put him onto the leopard and he saw it about an hour after I did

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/uploads/31788/2_Leopard_Kaen_Krachen_Julio_Fe_9th_A44T6736.jpg

We most likely had that same individual on that same road on 12 February on midday. Also somewhat small and slim and darkish looking. But it did not stay long enough to take pictures.

Should any of you have met a group of Swiss birders, it would have been us.

Any recent leopard sightings?

Tantalising thread & photos!

Has anyone any recent sightings of leopard along the Kaeng Krachan rd (ie. in the last 4-5 weeks)?

Interesting that a number of the sightings seem to be of typical spotted form, with one photo of a black form on a different thread - http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=481955&d=1391207024 . I thought black leopards were a majority in the area, as they seem to be further south on the Malay peninsula. Or perhaps it's just there a proportionately more black leopards than other parts of the world. In any case, black or spotted I'd love to see one & will give it a good shot in May & again in July of this year!

As a side note, we saw a black leopard cross a road at night a few weeks ago near Kuala Tahan, Taman Negara, Malaysia. A few days later while camping at the Merapoh entrance, woke up with fresh leopard pugmarks in the sand around the tent in the morning. I am a good snorer & maybe the curious big cat found the sound of my snorting irresistible! I didn't go out for my midnight pee the following night.

Marc Anderson
wildambience.com

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back