• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Starling vs Song Thrush: song (1 Viewer)

All-knowing Idiot
Opus Editor
Poland
Here's a recording of a singing Starling from the US:
If weren't for the initial 'whee' sound*, I could've easily put it down as a Song Thrush and moved on (if it were heard in Europe). I know Starlings are mimics, and they imitate different species on both sides of the pond, but I have a question (1): has anyone had an experience of hearing a Starling's song similar to that of Song Thrush?

*Question No. (2): Does the distinctive downward-sloping whistle mean a Starling is singing, or could it also be used as a call, not song?

Thanks in advance!

It repeats phrases. In that fact, it resembles song thrush. But the phrases themselves are not like a song thrush, and I don't think - personally - that it could be confused with one.

Probably because their songs are usually harsher and less musical, but the very beginning of this one here sounds more fluty to me--even a bit thrushlike (then it 'deteriorates' somewhat).

I’m not sure if you are talking about a European starling, but their songs are much scratchier (Edit: they sometimes resemble low clicks or ticking from the back of their throat)- our family calls them speckled screechers. I had a song thrush hanging around last week, it’s song was really loud, less hurried, and with a richer tone. It’s usually more noticeable than a starlings. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Also, the downward whistled cheeuuu cheeuu cheeuu does seem to be characteristic to a starling's song. Their call to nestlings is more of a harsh, grating eii, eii, eii, which the nestlings answer to. I'm not sure though, if anyone here is more experienced?

Yesterday I heard a Starling do a more of a shortish nasal call to its young, while they answered with a subdued grating sound.

We have a nest in a neighbor's house, I just went outside to listen. It was a rather short nasal eii eii, but very hard to describe. As the weeks went by the nestlings are responding with a chorus of chirps, originally a grating racket. The cheuu cheuu whistle is definitely part of their song

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back