• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Comet ZTF (2022 E3) (1 Viewer)

tenex

reality-based
In binoculars it's round and fuzzy. In our 82mm scope at 70x I can see the central bright point Sky & Telescope described as "prominent near-stellar pseudo-nucleus", but nothing further. How large a scope would be needed to show a tail or greenish color? How much would a truly dark sky matter? (suburban light pollution here)

In binoculars it's round and fuzzy. In our 82mm scope at 70x I can see the central bright point Sky & Telescope described as "prominent near-stellar pseudo-nucleus", but nothing further. How large a scope would be needed to show a tail or greenish color? How much would a truly dark sky matter? (suburban light pollution here)
Hello Tenex,

Quite a bit. See this image. However, it is a stacked image, but the advice to use binoculars is well taken. This week should provide the best opportunity as the comet approaches nearer to earth.

Stay safe,
Arthur

The round and fuzzy part is the coma.

The central bright point is the central condensation.

The nucleus of a comet is too small to be seen in binoculars or small telescopes.

The brightness is measured in a dark place with the smallest binocular that clearly shows the comet or in this case maybe with unaided eyes.

The green colour may need a a large telescope, although photos show comet colours fairly easily.

There may be two tails and an anti tail in photos or in very dark skies.

Regards,
B.

Pretty easy from a nicely light polluted suburb (with a bright moon too) with 10x50 binoculars. Looked like a bright nebulous fuzz, with possibly a tiny bright point in the centre. One of the brighter ones I’ve seen, wonder if I’ll get another chance to see it.

Peter

However, it is a stacked image
Unfortunately my eyes don't take time exposures, much less stack them. I was wondering what this looks like with a nice dark sky. I recall being pleased even here with the view of Neowise a couple of years ago, to which this doesn't compare.

Unfortunately my eyes don't take time exposures, much less stack them. I was wondering what this looks like with a nice dark sky. I recall being pleased even here with the view of Neowise a couple of years ago, to which this doesn't compare.
I saw it 9 days ago from very dark skies. It was still quite dim at the point but was clearly visible with my sears discoverer 7x50 10°. Clear central area with a definite greenish tinge and a slight fuzzy coma. I am unfortunately now back in civilization and even now as it's magnitude has greatly increased my light polluted skies show very little.

Yes managed to see it last night from south UK through Swarovski ATX.....a fuzzy nebulous area with a brighter spot when looked at peripherally with eyes

Yes managed to see it last night from south UK through Swarovski ATX.....a fuzzy nebulous area with a brighter spot when looked at peripherally with eyes
Had another look tonight and zoomed in fully. Still a fuzzy nebula and to be honest better zoomed out to about 45x.

Last edited:
There is little point in using high magnifications with attendant small exit pupils on faint fuzzy objects when your dilated eye pupils need as much light as they can get.
I made the mistake of directing my 30x65 scope (2,2 mm exit pupil) on Neowise and saw just a faint blob in a suburban sky.
With a 7x42 binocular I could at least see the tail and used this as an excuse to buy an 8x56 SLC, which has given me wonderful views of the Milky Way and the Andromeda galaxy at a dark site.
Yuji Hayakutake used a 25x150 Fujinon binocular to discover the comet that was named after him.

John

Even at perihelion, even after moonset, ZTF looks no better here in any of my binoculars. I don't understand why efforts to reduce light pollution never catch on. Forget the Milky Way, one easily forgets that there are very many stars at all.

Knowing just where to look with something like a 50% moon last weekend, I could make out a smudged blur with my binoculars. It was nothing to compare with the great views that Neowise gave in July 2020 when I photographed it with a focal length of near enough 50mm as part of a scene (1st image). Last Sunday ZTF needed a longer focal length to look like anything at all from our house. No stacking, just single images.

The second image (FL 35mm) is a scene-setter with the comet just above centre left. Polaris a bit to to the left and Dubhe and Merak over on the right. The third shot is a heavy crop at 200mm and the 4th image is a little later that evening, again heavily cropped from a 500mm zoom.

All in all, nice to see, but not much in the way of spectacle.

Attachments

• Comet-Neowise-(21)-fbook.jpg
    Comet-Neowise-(21)-fbook.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Comet-(29)-10s-35mm-fbook.jpg
    Comet-(29)-10s-35mm-fbook.jpg
    791.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Comet-(16)-2,5s-200mm-fbook.jpg
    Comet-(16)-2,5s-200mm-fbook.jpg
    861.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Comet-(8)-fbook-2.jpg
    Comet-(8)-fbook-2.jpg
    972.3 KB · Views: 17
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back