• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colombia Feb 2023 (1 Viewer)

Tremendous report and photos. My wife and I did a somewhat similar trip in February of 2020, just before Covid hit. We flew into Pereira and had a taxi take us to Otun Quimbaya. We stayed there 2 nights and then took a taxi back to the airport where we rented a car and drove to Rio Blanco for 2 nights then on to Hotel Tinamu for 2 nights. After a full day of birding at Hotel Tinamu we drove up to Nevado del Ruiz accompanied by a guide from Hotel Tinamu. We visited Hotel Termales Ruiz and were able to bird that loop that you said was blocked off. Then we drove to Jardin along the Rio Suscio-Jardin Road. We spent 5 nights and then on to Salento, Buena Vista and Filandia before returning the car at the airport and flying back to the US. Good times!

Great report and photos, thanks for sharing - an area of Colombia I would love to visit. Not sure I'd want to rent a car though, I saw enough of Colombian driving from the passenger seat of a guide's car and the front seat of a bus :eek:

Great report and photos, thanks for sharing - an area of Colombia I would love to visit. Not sure I'd want to rent a car though, I saw enough of Colombian driving from the passenger seat of a guide's car and the front seat of a bus :eek:
Lol, it was fine driving as long as you have your wits about you. Not much worse than driving on i91 in Connecticut!!

Great report. I'm planning a July trip.

One specific question: how does the pico y placa system work in Manizales? Does it affect getting between Rio Blanco, Pereira and Hacienda el Bosque?

Great report. I'm planning a July trip.

One specific question: how does the pico y placa system work in Manizales? Does it affect getting between Rio Blanco, Pereira and Hacienda el Bosque?
It depends on what your registration plate letter is. That will determine which days you can't drive into the centre of each city, which may be different for each city.

1.From Pereira Airport heading north to Manizales you won't go into Pereira to get there.

2.If staying in Manizales, or driving to Rio Blanco, the route into Manizales from Pereira routes you to the west and north to get there which takes you through the centre, so that day you travel will need to be checked.

3.From Rio Blanco to Hacienda, you do not need to go back into Manizales to get there, so no worries.

Obviously going through Pereira you'll have to check on those days.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back