• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Christineredgate's Patch (1 Viewer)

I have just finished reading all of this thread. It brings back many memmories of when I used to live nearby at Broughton In Furness and my many visits to Millom, Haverigg and Silecroft.

Tanny, thanks for bringing Christine's patch alive with your tales, recent visit and photographs.

I will have to visit Christine soon with my camera, scope and bins.

Dean:t:

Tanny,many many thanks,great to see the photos.I have sent you an e-mail re the Rugby club camping.
If any BF members are visiting Cumbria/Lancashire,then a trip to Hodbarrow at Haverigg,is a must.As Tanny has mentioned,the reserve is full of Grebes,Terns are flying across from the estuary with fish for their offspring,a must for BIF photographers.I have tried,but failed!!!.
Masses of Swallows,House Martins ,and many Swifts .
Again,many thanks,Tanny.It was great to see you.
One of the Male Eider ducks,nesting in the main reserve has a harem of 4 females.Also many shelducks mixed in with the rest of the Eider group in the lagoon.
I counted 16 pairs of Swans on the lagoon yesterday.Have never seen so may at one time.

My 69th Birthday

Birthday Camping Holiday at Haverigg.

Monday August the 4th. My wife and I packed the car and hooked on the Trailer Tent and headed off for a camping holiday at my favourite place in Britain. Haverigg, the little village situated at the southern tip of Cumberland at the mouth of the Duddon River and beneath the shadow of Black Coombe, the brooding hill a couple of feet short of a mountain. This was not just a holiday to enjoy the wonders of the British Countryside, it was also to search for lost friends and revive memories of when I was stationed here as a National Serviceman in the Army and when I lived here in the sixties and seventies. Our two pets were as usual with us and packed ‘snug as bugs in a rug’ in the back of the car, that’s Dixie and Asbo, the two tortoises, they come with us when we are away from home for more than a day.
The driving up the M6 was quite easy with the traffic being moderate; thankfully we were heading north because the southbound traffic was congested in places, especially in the Preston, Lancaster area.
It was a glorious day when we set off, the sun beamed down between fluffy white clouds but as we progressed north the clouds increased but not threatening rain. Sadly on reaching Cumberland and viewing from the top of Grizebeck, the mountains had a covering of low clouds, even Black Coombe was topped with a soft misty cloud.
We arrived at the Butterflowers Caravan and camping grounds and paid £62 for five nights, this is quite a bargain in comparison to £50 a night for a Bed and Breakfast at Bempton last month to see the Sea birds at the Cliffs.
Our Trailer Tent isn’t one of those fancy modern types, in-fact it’s an ‘an-twacky’ ancient model and an absolute terror to erect. It took us two hours to completely sort out, eventually everything was in its place and the bed blown up and ready for two tired pensioners to retire to later on.
At 16.30 Just after Christine, our friend from the BF paid a brief visit we decided to go for a little walk and what a shock I got when I collected my walking boots. At home I keep my two pairs of walking boots under the stairs and in my haste this morning I had picked up the right foot of each pair. Honest, I felt a right ‘Twit’ and quite disappointed. We still went for the walk, but wearing my best shoes prevented me from walking off the track into the dunes. We decided to walk along the beach and we searched among the cobbled stones looking for my special stone, the one I took to Australia with me many years ago and had it cut and polished. The tide was right out and the sea birds were flying way in the distance, Arctic Terns emitting their unmistakeable sound as they dived into the channel between Cumbria and the Duddon Sands near Walney Island, Barrow in Furness. A lone Curlew called a long way out in the estuary, the haunting call of mud flats and Moorland Hills. The sun shone down lovely and warm and burned off the clouds from the mountains leaving them coloured a pale shade of blue. We didn’t find any of my unusual stones but there were other colourful stones that took our fancy and will be added to our collection. I wonder what the attraction is for people on holidays to take home a souvenir stone or Shell. At this School holiday period the campsites are almost full of laughing and squealing children and people with their dogs. Close to our tent was a couple with two children and two huge Bullmastiffs that periodically bayed with their deep resonating bark, a sound that sends shivers up ones spine, and caused Ann to ask me to chaperone her when going to the toilets. Mind you I think the drooling dogs were so soft that they would have licked us to death.

Pictures from the left Commador Hotel from the bird hide. Juvenile Stonechat. Mouth of the Lazy river. Church at Millom. Seaview and Blackcoombe in the background.

Attachments

• Commador Hotel from bird hide..JPG
    Commador Hotel from bird hide..JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Juvenile Stonechat.JPG
    Juvenile Stonechat.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Lazy River.JPG
    Lazy River.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Millom from Bird hide.JPG
    Millom from Bird hide.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Sea view.JPG
    Sea view.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
My 69th Birthday

After dinner of curried lamb and rice, (One of those packets you heat up in a pan of hot water) we drove out to the RSPB Bird Hide overlooking the Hodbarrow reserve and sadly the Hide looks more and more like a public toilet and the smell near the door must have convinced someone that this was what it really was. Inside the walls are now covered by graffiti, but surprise, surprise there was a sheet of paper stuck on the back wall with what I think was the latest sightings of birds, unfortunately it was written in an illegible Neanderthal language. Oh how I wish the local Ranger for the RSPB would take an interest in his job. I enquired again about him and was told that the Cumberland representative comes down to visit now and again but meets the Ranger in the local pub and that’s the limit of his visit. One of the latest complaints about the ranger is that he visited the hide recently and lit a cigarette, then blew smoke over the occupants and left; oh boy wouldn’t he get a mouthful if he did that to me. All the nesting of the Terns and Gulls is now ended but there are still plenty of Lesser-black Back Gulls with immature young demanding food. Great Crested Grebe are plentiful on the water with their young, a couple seen riding on the parents back. I drove the car right around the reserve but I don’t recommend everyone doing it because there are some deep potholes and boggy places for the unwary to drive into. In a field we spotted a mixed flock of Grey Lag Geese and Canada Geese and managed to get a couple of pictures. Returning back to our tent we had a good shower and retired to bed early with our favourite books. I’m reading Jean Aural’s, Shelter of Stone, this is the last book of the, ‘Earth Children’ series.

Views of Blackcoombe from the Bird Hide. Herring Gull.

Attachments

• DSCF7082.JPG
    DSCF7082.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF7083.JPG
    DSCF7083.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF7081.JPG
    DSCF7081.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF7084.JPG
    DSCF7084.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Herring Gull.JPG
    Herring Gull.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 18
My 69th Birthday

Tuesday the 5th of August and my 69th birthday, it was a bit chilly in the night and we were a bit reluctant to get out of the sleeping bag, when I did get out I immediately had an attack of cramp in my right calf. I hobbled to the toilets and recovered after a nice hot shower. Just as I was packing away my toiletries the arm of my glasses fell off. “Oh strewth, what next” I thought as I squinted around the bench by the sink looking for that minute screw. Would you believe it I actually found it and to carry it safely back to the tent I put it in my mouth. A mongrel dog growled at me as I walked back and I nearly yelled at it but the fear of losing the screw prevented me. Ann couldn’t see to fix the arm so we plan to go into Millom to get it fixed. So far the sun shone periodically between clouds, and Black Coombe was clear which means it might rain. The Herring Gulls were rather raucous at daybreak, along with a Rooster in a nearby garden. When in Millom it started to rain and after getting my glasses fixed we dashed to the local Museum and spent a very interesting time there although I experienced a strange feeling as I looked at the Hodbarrow mine section. There were so many items that I recognised from when I worked down that mine, and they even have the same cage that I used when descending into the mine. I stood there slightly bemused till Ann turned to me with a big grin on her face and said, “You’re a Museum piece”. After a little bit of shopping we headed back to Haverigg and stopped at the Beach Café for a Cheese and pickle toasted sandwich. This place was recommended to us but if you’re concerned with hygiene then forget about it. The rain continued pelting down so we relaxed in the tent, checking now and again to see if there were any leaks, thankfully there wasn’t any.
At 19.00, Christine and Barry pick us up and take us to the Commodore Hotel for a birthday meal. This building used to be the Office for the Mine and was the place where I used to come to collect my wages, hard to recognize it now as it was in those days. Barry had to go off to get something forgotten, but it was a set-up because he returned with a very old friend, one I hadn’t seen for at least twenty five years. Trudy was a childhood school friend of my Ex wife and had once stayed with us in Australia for a holiday with her late husband Terry. This was indeed a very pleasant birthday surprise and a highlight of the week. After the excellent meal I was again delighted to be presented with a Birthday Cake, and on the cake was a Kookaburra, one of my favorite Australian Birds. Everyone sang Happy Birthday and I had to fight hard to control the tears that were welling up behind my eyes.

Sea Holly. Grey Lag and Canada Geese. Our old Tent. A Carbide Lamp that I used to use down the mine. My Birthday Cake.

Attachments

• DSCF7347.JPG
    DSCF7347.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF7098.JPG
    DSCF7098.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 21
  • The old tent.JPG
    The old tent.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF7112.JPG
    DSCF7112.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Birthday cake.JPG
    Birthday cake.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 24
My 69th Birthday

Wed 6th Aug. At 07.15 I got out of the warm sleeping bag, it was my turn to get up to make the morning cup of tea. The night was a restless one for me, I don’t often drink and only had one and a half pints of old English Bitter Beer, but with a big meal as well, my stomach wasn’t used to it. It also rained a couple of heavy showers in the night and the sound can be unnerving as it pounds on the canvas. The rains continued pelting down confined us to the Tent throughout the morning but stopped after lunch allowing us to go for a small walk among the sand hills. Thankfully I’d packed my Wellington boots because the grass was very wet. We searched along the stony road that passed the Rugby Club for a sample of my special stone because the stones along this track were from the beach. At last, almost at the end of the track I found a very good sample. Although the day was overcast we did manage to take many pictures of the flowers and Insects from among the Dunes. When the sun decided to really come out we decided to go for a drive and I drove up the Whicham Valley to the Duddon Bridge, then turned left to Thwaites Fell and Corney Fell and what a hair raising experience that was. The road was only one car width with thankfully, plenty of passing places. The workers from the Atomic Powerhouse at Sellafield were dashing home and groups of six or seven of them headed towards us. It was a case of slipping into a passing place and flashing them on, almost every one of them waved their thanks. The views from the top were spectacular but with the drizzly rain the full extent of the views were obscured. The only birds seen were two Ravens sporting with the breeze at the highest peak. We returned to Haverigg through Bootle and Kirksanton, and in the village we bought Fish and Chips for dinner and ate them back in the tent. Afterwards I strolled around to the village and visited my ex wife’s sister, I hadn’t seen her for over twenty five years. I saw a photo of my lost grandchildren in Australia on her mantelshelf and was amazed at the changes in them. My ex sister-in-law, although six years younger than me seemed very frail and prematurely aged and the impression I got was that she was just ‘waiting-for-God’. I was happy to leave her to her complaints and headed back to the camp. Ann and I tried to go for an evening stroll but it started raining again so we returned and settled down to read and relax with a drink of chocolate before bed.
Mixed flowers on the dunes. Hairbells. Bumble Bee on Ragwort. Wild Redcurrants on the dunes. Common Blue Butterfly.

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF7138.JPG
    DSCF7138.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF7560.JPG
    DSCF7560.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 16
My 69th Birthday

Thu 7th Aug The sun came out this morning and it felt quite warm so we let Asbo and Dixie have a little run among the clover and grass outside the tent. Asbo, the female is sedately and just enjoys eating but Dixie the male has greyhound legs and dashes away to explore. Last November he escaped from the enclosure at home and disappeared and it was in March this year when he was found by a neighbor and returned. He gets a bit frustrated because we keep a strict eye on him now.
I was outside the tent with my camera when a skein of Geese flew over and I managed to get some pictures of them in the grey sky. Around about 9.20 my Forum pal, Dr Manjeet Singh rings on Ann’s mobile, and sings, Happy Birthday. Honest, that guy is quite a character, but you all know that, don’t you?
We go for a morning cuppa at Trudy’s house and it was great to catch up on the news and reminisce about old times. Returning to Haverigg we go into the local shop and I get chatting to the manageress and during the conversation I mentioned that I worked in the Tannery as a Toggler and the woman exclaimed. “Are you Skippy, my dad worked with you”. I was amazed that a young woman should remember a bloke from way back, called Skippy. Ann recons I must have left quite an impression on the people in the village from those days long ago. At lunch time we go around to Christine’s and she had laid out quite a substantial meal for us. While there she gets a phone call and its Manjeet again, telling her that he has put a picture in the gallery dedicated to me. I’m afraid I got a bit emotional for a moment and have to admit this has to be the best birthday I’ve had for a very long time. As the weather was reasonably clear we go down to the Ironworks Nature Reserve and take many pictures of the views and flowers and picked up some unusual stones from the foundry residue. Later in the evening we try again to find samples of my special stone along the track and were lucky to find a couple of small ones. We were hoping to see the escaped Eagle Owl that lives in the abandoned building of the Tannery but were not lucky enough. The Herring Gulls were calling around the camp and a Rabbit allowed a close approach, this reminded me of a story someone told me about some campers complaining about the Gulls pitter-patting on their roofs in the morning, they said the Rabbits attracted the Gulls so some moron spread Mixamatosis around the place and destroyed hundreds of the Rabbits, the sight of all the dead and dying animals were horrific. Of Course the Gulls are still as prolific as they were. What would one expect, it’s a Seaside.

Asbo and Dixie, our traveling companions. The special stone I looked for. Just the stones I searched in. Bright Litchen. Flying Geese

Attachments

• DSCF7262.JPG
    DSCF7262.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF8801.JPG
    DSCF8801.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF7343.JPG
    DSCF7343.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF7336.JPG
    DSCF7336.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Scean of Geese.jpg
    Scean of Geese.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
My 69th Birthday

Friday 8th Aug Both of us up bright and early and the sun is out and it promises to be a lovely day however Ann and I get a strange feeling that it wasn’t going to continue and after considering for a while we decided to pack up camp and return home. The tent had dried out with the sun and we just hate packing up in the rain. The ancient Tent was as usual almost impossible to get dawn and after sweating, puffing and pulling we managed it and drove out of there at 10.30. The sun stayed out throughout the day and it was an enjoyable drive back home.
Thankfully we did leave a day earlier; Christine rang to say it poured down all day on Saturday.
Well this is another story to be added to Christine Redgate’s Patch and although it’s a little bit different than usual I hope readers enjoyed reading my chatter and seeing our pictures.
Tanny

Like a jewel in the grass. Cinnabar catterpiller in the Ragwort. The dirty look. Laughing Lesser-black back Gulls. Just a moth to me.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF7146.JPG
    DSCF7146.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF7255.JPG
    DSCF7255.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Lesser Black-back Gulls.JPG
    Lesser Black-back Gulls.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF7316.JPG
    DSCF7316.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Tanny,thankyou.Lovely photos of our beautiful area.It was great to see you,and such a pleasure to arrange your surprise birthday bash,with your special guest.Take care.Shame re the weather,but as Barry says,if we had no rain,then we would not have any lakes!!!

Really enjoyed reading your 'diaries' Tanny. It looks to be a lovely area of the country. We've never visited but will try and make it one day soon.

Sandra

Thank you very much Tanny & Mrs Tanny..letting me read about a beautiful place and about a beautiful hearted lady called Christine...:clap:..Both of you made my day..you hear and Christine are Singhs allowed there..lol.:-O:-O.....I wish i could be there..and as for you Tanny my friend..you have seen real life in the ..raw.. as we say here..just as me..keep your stories coming you hear..they at least make this hairy Singh happy.Regrds.:t:B :)B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back