• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chickadee Confusion in Hunterdon County NJ (1 Viewer)

What appears to be a proximal spot on the upper mandible?
In Europe this helps to separate between our Marsh v Willow Tit.
Don’t know if this feature can be applied your side of the pond regarding BCC v Carolina Chickadee?

Cheers

Both species are present in Hunterdon County per eBird. I don't think these pics are identifiable, especially with the potential for hybrids. Identifying by call is probably your best bet, Black-capped has a deeper, slower chick-a-dee-dee call.

There is a good article by David Sibley on distinguishing between Black-capped and Carolina Chickadees here.

Hunterdon County stretches from the northern edge of the Carolina Chickadee zone, across the hybrid zone, and into the southern part of the Black-capped Chickadee zone. They could be either species or hybrids. Even going by call is risky in this area, as they can learn the songs of the other species.

Thank you all for your help Identifying this bird. It is a great help to know if I was in the hybrid zone or not. Thanks you all! From, Shlundo

I think we can see wing coverts in the first photo. They appear to be plain grey, with no white edging. That would strongly suggest Carolina.

Thank you all for your help Identifying this bird. I think it probably a Carolina like you guys said as here in Hunterdon County the range of the Black Capped Chickadee and Carolina Chickadee overlap leading me to believe both species as well as hybrids may visit my bird feeder and woodlands.

A very interesting opportunity for the comparison of the two (akin to Fish Crow vs American Crow) and a lot of amateur research to be conducted locally that could keep you busy if you like this sort of approach to birding.

Yes, many different scientists and birders have various approaches at Identifying different species that resemble each other closely. I think that some species such as Downy vs Hairy may mimic have evolved to mimic the others look for their own benefit.

Regent Whistler and some congeners, maybe--unless the other whistlers share the toxin-laden feathers but haven't been studied in detail yet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back