• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

catapillar ID (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
cat ID

Anyone recognise this one? There were quite a few on our lawn last night (it was mild and calm). This specimen was about 1.5 cms long but one was at least 2.5 cms. It's obviously something common!

Attachments

• cat11-2-04.jpg
    cat11-2-04.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Mmm..... Possibly Green Hairstreak.
Can you tell us how many legs (pairs) they have and how they are laid out? Some caterpillars have legs the entire length of their body, some only have two or three pairs at either end.

Someone has told me that it's a yellow underwing, possibly large yellow underwing.
I'm now trying to 'grow one on' in a jar. Does anyone know whether this is possible? It certainly seems to be growing but will it pupate?

When it wants to pupate it needs to bury itself. Allow it some moist but not wet compost. When it has pupated after a week or so remove and put into a container with a stick it can climb. Do not allow it to get damp, but do not allow it to get too dry. I would try and do several as it could be parasitised. So the more you have the more chance you have of getting at least one.

simondix said:
When it wants to pupate it needs to bury itself. Allow it some moist but not wet compost. When it has pupated after a week or so remove and put into a container with a stick it can climb. Do not allow it to get damp, but do not allow it to get too dry. I would try and do several as it could be parasitised. So the more you have the more chance you have of getting at least one.

Thanks for the advice, Simon.
Never played nanny to a moth before!
Ken

I've done as you suggest. It hasn't pupated yet but it's getting quite a decent size.
When and if it eventually emerges (presumably at night?) is there any technique for getting a photo of it without killing it? Eg will it remain inactive for a while after if first emerges?

If it's a Large Yellow Underwing, which I think it is then it won't start to emerge until July/August time. As for photo to a decent photo. The best option if it's to active is to put it in a pot in the fridge for about 30 mins. It won't harm it and it will stay nice and still it warms up again.

Hope this helps

Simon

Surreybirder said:
I've done as you suggest. It hasn't pupated yet but it's getting quite a decent size.
When and if it eventually emerges (presumably at night?) is there any technique for getting a photo of it without killing it? Eg will it remain inactive for a while after if first emerges?

And another

Here's another... any suggestions?
It was feeding on ivy after dark on 15th Feb. Roughly 15mm long.

Attachments

• cat15Feb04.jpg
    cat15Feb04.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 168
The country recorder reckons the second caterpillar could be a lesser yellow underwing.
We seem to have a lot of yellow underwing moths in our garden!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back