• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Casual Euro-listing 2012 (1 Viewer)

A lull in my travel schedule means this is as good a time as any for a half-time score:

UK 51
Belgium 97
Denmark 46
Germany 27
Jordan 60
Svalbard 15
Poland 3
Kaliningrad 35
Lithuania 22

WP 177

Work: 86

Mammals: 10

Spent slightly longer in France than expected on my return from longer distance travelling, thanks to some good old French industrial action. An overnight stop at Charles de Gaulle airport propelled my French year list to no fewer than 7 species. Top quality casual Euro listing.

Spent slightly longer in France than expected on my return from longer distance travelling, thanks to some good old French industrial action. An overnight stop at Charles de Gaulle airport propelled my French year list to no fewer than 7 species. Top quality casual Euro listing.

That sure is top quality. I lived in Paris for ten years and flew in and out of CdG regularly. My record for the airport is:

House Sparrow (actually inside Terminal 3)
Carrion Crow
Kestrel
Grey Heron

David

July, the Netherlands

A flying visit to Amsterdam airport, didn't actually involve any flying - I took a fast train for a one day meeting at an airport hotel. In apparent contrast to CdG (which I can't remember having flown out of) Schippol can be relatively productive, birdwise. Not on my visit though, when most of my birds were noted form the train window. Truly high-speed birding, with no possibility for using bins. No year-ticks, but some useful work-ticks, particularly Stock Dove and Common Tern, among by Dutch list of 24 species.

Last edited:
July, Belgium

With less work travel over the summer months, I've had a bit more time to do some Belgian birding. One notable trip was to the heathland area of Kalmthoutse Heide which produce a nice selection of heathland birds, including Stonechat, Hobby and Woodlark, as well as more woodland species like Crested Tit and Honey Buzzard. The only mammal I saw was a Bank Vole, although I did hope that some mystery mammal tracks might prove to be from something more interesting. They didn't.

Bringing the scores up to date:

UK 51
Belgium 107
Denmark 46
Germany 27
Jordan 60
Svalbard 15
Poland 3
Kaliningrad 35
Lithuania 22
Netherlands 24

WP 184

Work: 91

Mammals: 10

Last edited:
August, Romania

Eagle-eyed readers may have got a sneak preview of this trip from Cristian's account of our morning's birding with him around Bucharest. However, most of the trip had seen us further north, in the Carpathian mountains.

We arrived in Bucharest on the Thursday afternoon and drove to our accommodation in Zarnesti. Friday and Saturday saw us wandering casually around the local hills and meadows allowing ourselves to be distracted by whatever wildlife crossed our path. To a large extent this involved butterflies rather than birds, although the latter did include Alpine Swift, Honey Buzzard, Nutcracker and Crested Tit amongst others. The main event, however, was on Saturday night when, together with a French tour group, we were taken to a hide on stilts overlooking a clearing in the forest. After about an hour in those cramped conditions, our quarry showed itself: a European Brown Bear. After feeding from the various baited sites around the clearing, it ambled off into the forest. The same individual reappeared again an hour later, but by that time it was too dark for photos, so shortly after then we returned to the minibus and went back to our accommodation.

With the main target of the trip safely under our belts, we were able to relax and do a bit of birding. Sunday morning we headed a little further north to Dumbravita fish ponds. The actual fish ponds were not accessible, and while the nearby reservoir held a lot of birds, they were a little too distant for easy birding. All was not lost, as the local oak wood proved to be very productive. Initially, it did not look particularly inspiring, not least, because various car were parked under the edge of the canopy, where people were picnicking. Closer investigation proved worthwhile however, as in quick succession we found a pair of Middle-spotted Woodpeckers, a pair of Grey-headed Woodpeckers and a single White-backed Woodpecker. Wandering back in after lunch, we again found Middle-spotted and Grey-headed Woodys, this time followed by a cracking pair of Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers. Other birds included Wood Warbler, and a flycatcher which I didn't see well, but on the basis of probability and the few features I did see, is going on this list as Collared Flycatcher.

Later that afternoon we drove back to Bucharest on a shiny new motorway, booked into our hotel, then met-up with Cristian to discuss the following day's birding, which of course, has already been well-documented.

Our short, enjoyable and productive trip produced a total of 101 species of bird. We only managed two species of mammal, but one of those was Brown Bear!

Last edited:
Miscellaneous Romanian distractions:

1, Common Glider
2, Woodland Ringlet
3, Silver-washed Fritillary
4, You can probably guess this one.

Attachments

• DSC_0638.NEF.jpg
    DSC_0638.NEF.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0643.NEF.jpg
    DSC_0643.NEF.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0659.NEF.jpg
    DSC_0659.NEF.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_0843.NEF.jpg
    DSC_0843.NEF.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 18
August, UK (via the Netherlands)

A quick catch-up before I resume my travels. A week back in Suffolk during August gave me a chance to catch-up with a few friends and a few birds. In particular, with day trips to Minsmere and Cley, both my UK and WP lists benefited from a good top-up of waders. Personal highlights though came from a morning spent gardening, which was enlivened by a couple of flyover Crossbills and a garden tick White Admiral.

The train journey back from Schippol to Brussels produced an unexpected bonus Dutch/year tick in the form of a ringtail Hen Harrier.

August, Estonia

Estonia is gaining a reputation as a birding hotspot. But that isn't based on visiting Tallinn in late August. My travels between the hotel and the meeting place produced just Hooded Crow, Feral Pigeon and what I should probably list as “unidentified large white-headed gull” but here is counted as Herring Gull. With a couple of hours to kill before my return flight, my tactic was to have a beer in the the sun in the old town square. This approach paid off with House Sparrow. Subsequently, the time-honoured technique of staring out of the window of the departure lounge added another three species: Lapwing, Starling and Swallow.

The scores on the doors:

UK 103
Belgium 109
Denmark 46
Germany 27
Jordan 60
Svalbard 15
Poland 3
Kaliningrad 35
Lithuania 22
Netherlands 25
Romania 101
Estonia 7

WP 233

Mammals: 13

The scores on the doors:

UK 103
Belgium 109
Denmark 46
Germany 27
Jordan 60
Svalbard 15
Poland 3
Kaliningrad 35
Lithuania 22
Netherlands 25
Romania 101
Estonia 7

Belgium, the the best place in the WP for birds! Who would have thought :-O

Lucky you went to birdless Svalbard and the cultural and ornitholigical deserts of Estonia and Poland ;)

Belgium, the the best place in the WP for birds! Who would have thought :-O

Lucky you went to birdless Svalbard and the cultural and ornitholigical deserts of Estonia and Poland ;)

Obviously nothing to do with the amount of time I've spent in each country...

Here are the scores in approximate birds per day.

UK 7.4
Belgium 0.5
Denmark 11.5
Germany 5.4
Jordan 8.6
Svalbard 2.1
Poland 20.0
Kaliningrad 11.7
Lithuania 11.0
Netherlands 31.3
Romania 25.3
Estonia 3.5

It's settled, the Netherlands is the best place in the WP for birds! Estonia is still crap though.

September, Norway

Some long overdue catching-up...

A week in Bergen for a conference saw a lot of rain and no time for any birding. This meant the only birds I saw were standard city staples like Herring Gull, Hooded Crow and House Sparrow, leading to dismal trip total of nine species.

September, Poland

Not much time at home before it was time to head back to the airport, destination this time, Gdynia, on the Baltic coast of Poland. This time it was only a two day visit, but birdwise it was a similar story to Bergen, with just those birds at home in the city finding their way on to my list. The total was slightly higher at 14 species, largely because Gdynia seems to support a wider range of corvids than Bergen.

October, UK

Another trip which shouldn't really qualify as Casual Euro-listing, not because of the destination, but because, just for once, the trip involved nothing but intensive birding. To make sure I didn't miss-out on autumn migration this year I had, at rather short notice, booked myself a week at Fair Isle Bird Observatory.

Initially, the winds were from the west and increasingly strong, to the extent that I was lucky to make it onto the island as many flights were disrupted during the week. This also meant that migration was a little quiet, though still apparent from movement of Greylag Geese and Whooper Swans. In the absence of other goodies to chase, I had time to try and get to grips with the long-staying Lanceolated Warbler. Even so, it took me three days before it finally showed well enough in its chosen ditch for me to be happy with ticking it.

By the Thursday, the winds had turned easterly and I started the day with a Red-breasted Flycatcher from my bedroom window. More birds were arriving, particularly Redwing, but the wind was still strong, making the birding hard work at times. Two Olive-backed Pipits and a Blyth's Reed Warbler were found, but I only managed to connect with one of the pipits, and then only briefly. A Great Grey Shrike was a little more obliging. Over the next few days the numbers of migrants increased, with good numbers of thrushes, including scatter of Ring Ouzels, as well as Brambling, Goldcrests and Woodcock. The hoped-for big rarity didn't quite happen though unless you count the island rarity that is Great Tit.

Overall, a very enjoyable week of back-to-basic birding in great scenery and good company. I saw about 65 species on the island, bringing my UK year list to 135.

Last edited:
What I suspect will be close to final scores:

UK 135
Belgium 113
Denmark 46
Germany 27
Jordan 60
Svalbard 15
Poland 14
Kaliningrad 35
Lithuania 22
Netherlands 25
Romania 101
Estonia 7
Norway 9

WP 255

Mammals: 15

A rainy Eurostar to England and little bit of birding over Christmas did little to change the final scores. Which were:

UK 137
Belgium 113
Denmark 46
Germany 27
Jordan 60
Svalbard 15
Poland 14
Kaliningrad 35
Lithuania 22
Netherlands 25
Romania 101
Estonia 7
Norway 9
France 1

WP 256

Mammals: 15

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back