• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carunculated Caracara near Quito (1 Viewer)

I've purchased my tickets for Quito in late Decmember/early Jan and will likely be traveling up to and around Mindo. However, one bird I really want to see is the Caracara. Does anyone know if there is a place closer than Antisana to see them reliably? Since I won't have a lot of time and will have already blown a lot of money, I'm hoping to find an easy way to get a look at these birds in person as a bonus on my trip.

We had them on a side road off the road to Papallacta outside of Quito. I have the name of the place listed as "El Tablon" but I don't know if that's it real name (I don't think it is).

Hey,

When you arrive to Quito (UIO in international airports terminology) there is a new airport. Close to this airport it's placed a new B&B named Puembo Bird Garden. You can ask the managers for a driver to directs you to "La Virgen road" (near papallacta) incluidng the Antenas area (not to far from the airport and B&B). It's possible sometimes to get Curunculated Caracara and other raptors (American Kestrel, Aplomado Falcon, Variable Hawk, rarely Andean Condor, Black-chested Buzzard-Eagle) adding the endemic sub-specie of Rufous-bellied Seedsnipe, plus Ecuadorian Hillstar, and some furnariids.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back