• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cap Rhir (1 Viewer)

John Fordham

Anyone know what is being built at Cap Rhir? It's currently a building site (see attached) and seawatching from the Point not really possible.

Attachments

• Cap_Rhir.jpg
    Cap_Rhir.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 105
A hotel maybe?
Did you go any where near Ourzazate?
When I heard they were constructing a solar energy station on the edge of the Sahara I thought it would be exactly there-so what?
When I found out it was on the edge of Ourzazate AND it was to be the same size in area as Rabat I remembered how wild and desolate it used to be-but now?

A hotel maybe?
Did you go any where near Ourzazate?
When I heard they were constructing a solar energy station on the edge of the Sahara I thought it would be exactly there-so what?
When I found out it was on the edge of Ourzazate AND it was to be the same size in area as Rabat I remembered how wild and desolate it used to be-but now?

A hotel could be a good Base for seawatching there - I was more concerned that is something related to the oil industry.

Yes, passed through Ouarzazate but didn't notice any significant construction going on. I did find that they are building on western edge of Tagdilt track so can no longer gain access by the barracks.

Also noted that many sand rats are now occupying the Scrub Warbler site 43km from ErRachidia - hope this does not lead to their demise - one.of my favourite birds.

Interesting John - so the area was essentially off-limits?.. Been toying with a return trip there at some point...

Interesting John - so the area was essentially off-limits?.. Been toying with a return trip there at some point...

Off-limits isn't quite correct. If you look at the picture in first post and zoom in, can see that there is car parking available behind the crane on left. This was being used by many a wind surfer whilst I was there and can certainly sea-watch from there but not quite the same thing as watching from the point itself.

It is not a hotel - seem to remember it something to do with naval observation or something like this (maybe be remembering this not quite right, but it certainly isn't a hotel).

Excellent seawatching is still very possible about a half kilometre or so north - a small track leads to the sea and you can watch from your car if the wind is too strong.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back