• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon MP-E 65mm (1 Viewer)

joespy

For those serious about incredible macro pics, we had this bloke at our Cam Club last night... http://www.oliverwrightphotography.com/ his work with this Canon lens is mind blowing stuff. Almost makes me want to switch from Nikon.
Take a look at his website, you'll find more than just macro stuff, his landscapes and Aurora pics are top notch....:t:
Cheers Joe

For those serious about incredible macro pics, we had this bloke at our Cam Club last night... http://www.oliverwrightphotography.com/ his work with this Canon lens is mind blowing stuff. Almost makes me want to switch from Nikon.
Take a look at his website, you'll find more than just macro stuff, his landscapes and Aurora pics are top notch....:t:
Cheers Joe

I've taken a look and agree some stunning pics.:t:
Yorkie

I did acquire Canon gear (even though I still use Nikon as well), because of the lenses, and particularly the MP-E 65. I've found several photographers who take beautiful high magnification macro shots with that lens and figured it was relatively straightforward. However, I seem to lack to patience to routinely produce nice shots with the MP-E 65 and remain in awe of photographers that can. I've not given up yet, but it does take a lot of practice, patience and a steady hand (and a willingness to mess with homemade diffusers and brackets to light subjects correctly). Good luck should you ever decide to take the plunge.

Have you tried combining your standard Macro with Extension tubes?
That also allows a greater than 1:1 magnification ratio and is cheaper than buying an Mp-e 65, let alone making a whole system switch.

Sure you lose light, but you will probably be using a flash set up anyway, so you can use appropriate apertures to compensate for the tiny DoF.

Have you tried combining your standard Macro with Extension tubes?
That also allows a greater than 1:1 magnification ratio and is cheaper than buying an Mp-e 65, let alone making a whole system switch.

Sure you lose light, but you will probably be using a flash set up anyway, so you can use appropriate apertures to compensate for the tiny DoF.

Flash would be absolutely mandatory in this case, as it is with the MPE, with a 100mm macro lens it takes 68mm of extension tubes to get you to 3:1. As noted above, DOF becomes razor thin at these magnifications so at bare minimum you need to be at F/8 to have anything usable.

I do tons of macro and could go on for days but i won't bore you guys with the insane little details unless you're really interested |:D|

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back