• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you guess which Nikon E this is? (1 Viewer)

12X40 without the upgraded coatings, so a bit dull. The Criterion 12X40 are rare, I wonder if they did not make that many as compared to the 8X30 or 10X35.

Hi Mikbul,

I assume that's the 7x50 CF HP. Certainly looks similar to the smaller E series binoculars, but I don't think it was ever included in the E series, perhaps because it doesn't use any of the same parts as the smaller E series models.

You may have noticed that the E series binoculars are made from interchangeable eyepiece housings and objective bells attached to a common prism housing, so it's possible to make up a few models that Nikon never made by simply switching objective bells. Switching objective bells between 12x40 and 7x35 makes an 8.5x40 and the 10x35 that Nikon did make. Switching bells between 8x30 and 7x35 makes a 6x30 and a 9x35. Switching between 8x30 and 10x35 makes a 9x30 and an 8.8x35. I switched the objective bells between a 7x35 and an 8x30 to make a 6x30 and a 9x35, two configurations I prefer to the 7x35 and 10x35 models that Nikon chose to make with the same parts. So, even after you've bought all the regular E models you'll still have a ways to go to assemble every possible E configuration.

Henry

Last edited:
Hi Mikbul,

I assume that's the 7x50 CF HP. Certainly looks similar to the smaller E series binoculars, but I don't think it was ever included in the E series, perhaps because it doesn't use any of the same parts as the smaller E series models.

You may have noticed that the E series binoculars are made from interchangeable eyepiece housings and objective bells attached to a common prism housing, so it's possible to make up a few models that Nikon never made by simply switching objective bells. Switching objective bells between 12x40 and 7x35 makes an 8.4x40 and the 10x35 that Nikon did make. Switching bells between 8x30 and 7x35 makes a 6x30 and a 9.1x35. Switching between 8x30 and 10x35 makes a 9.1x30 and an 8.75x35. I switched the objective bells between a 7x35 and an 8x30 to make a 6x30 and a 9.1x35, two configurations I prefer to the 7x35 and 10x35 models that Nikon chose to make with the same parts. So, even after you've bought all the regular E models you'll still have a ways to go to assemble every possible E configuration.

Henry
I had a feeling you would be the one to figure this out! Either it's a coincidence or the same engineer or designer drew out both? Everything you wrote above I have already written down from an earlier post. If I read that correctly the 8X30 and 10X35 have different W/A eyepieces?D.jpg

Does anyone know how this Zeiss-style model of 7.3 degree 7x50 compares to the larger B&L style Nikon 7x50 (Tropical etc) that from memory also had a 7.3 degree FOV? The Prostar range would have been multi-coated and therefore brighter, but (I think) the Tropicals were always single-coated?

NB. I wonder how the name "Tropical" came about - makes me think it had something to do with them being used in the tuna fishery in southern waters, which of course the Japanese were (and are) heavily engaged with since they had vessels with enough range to exploit it.

Does anyone know how this Zeiss-style model of 7.3 degree 7x50 compares to the larger B&L style Nikon 7x50 (Tropical etc) that from memory also had a 7.3 degree FOV? The Prostar range would have been multi-coated and therefore brighter, but (I think) the Tropicals were always single-coated?

NB. I wonder how the name "Tropical" came about - makes me think it had something to do with them being used in the tuna fishery in southern waters, which of course the Japanese were (and are) heavily engaged with since they had vessels with enough range to exploit it.
This is from the same series as the tropical, SP etc.BRO.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back