• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Budle Bay (1 Viewer)

StevieEvans

Its allways a pleasure to visit Budle Bay, but the coastal walk around the bay to Bamburgh is an absolute, scenic & atmospheric delight.
Today, the sound of wild geese approaching was magical, the volume increasing as they made their way down, noisily onto the bird filled mudflats.

As a Bird-Walk, i cant think of a better one, with such a wide range of species.
The most unexpected birds i've seen was a pair of Green Woodpeckers feeding on ground. Some others seen include:-
Short-ear owl, Peregrine, Merlin, Grey wagtail, Pheasant, Grey partridge, Goldcrest, Long tail tit, Bullfinch, Goldfinch, Brambling, Twite, Lapland bunting, Snow bunting, Whitethroat, Grasshopper warbler, Mistle thrush, Stock dove, G.S.woodpecker, Treecreeper.
Brent, Barnacle, Pink footed, White fronted Geese, Whooper swan, Spoonbill, Pintail, Scaup, Goldeneye, Long tailed duck, Velvet scoter, Goosander, Merganser, Eider.
5 Grebe sp's, G.N diver, B.T.diver, Gannet, Fulmar, Manx shearwater, Sooty shearwater, Great skua, Little gull, Med gull.
Purple sandpiper, Sanderling, Turnstone, Knot, Ruff, Greenshank, Little stint, Curlew sandpiper, Whimbrel, Bar tail godwit. Grey & Golden plover.

If i had one days birding left, i would spend it here.
Stevie.

Stevie, you have got me drooling!!! There were some gorgeous birds on the list...and quite a few new ticks for me!!!
I'm ashamed to admit that in nearly twenty years of birding i have only been to Holy Island and Budle Bay three times! Once with the bird club in 1985 and a couple of times in the 90's when I persuaded the boyfriend of the day to take me there for the day. The weather turned real bad on the way and we(or rather I) saw nothing!
But, as regular readers of my posts will know, i'm currently taking driving lessons and the first place I plan to go to when I pass is Budle Bay and Holy Island!!! Having said that, my hubby and I plan to drive up that way in the next two or three weeks...I hope to see some nice birds and hubby can be bribed with a meal in the pub!!!
What I would love to do though is go to stay on the island for a few days during the winter...the chance of geese, winter ducks and divers is hard to resist!!!

Great description of a wonderfull area Steve, and Gill good luck with your driving test the site is great in winter, and Ross back sands can be great for winter Grebes such as Red necked and Slavonian and Lapland buntings, Snow Buntings, and Shorelarks.

Yep, a great place. I've had all of those in or near Budle Bay, except for Lapland Bunting (which is much easier to find on nearby Holy Island). Can add a few more too, Desert Wheatear the best of all, also (in no particular order!) Avocet, Little Egret, Spotted Redshank, Little Stint, Crossbill, Yellow-legged Gull, Glaucous Gull, Hen Harrier, Buzzard, Bean Goose, Stonechat, Shore (Horned) Lark, Waxwing, Willow Tit, Lesser Whitethroat, and many more

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back