• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Broken part in Bushnell Binoculars (1 Viewer)

BrPo

United States
Hi,

I have a pair of Bushnell AF 13-1056 PK 10x50 wide angle binoculars (341ft at 1,000 yards). I recently noticed when looking at the night ski that distant objects appear twice. One moon right next to another. I found a broken plastic part inside the left telescope. See picture.

I tried unscrewing the left telescope, but it is either on very tight or glued. But maybe that part is not causing the issue. The binoculars are fine for looking at birds in my yard. But recently I have seen eagles flying high above my yard and they appear twice too.

Bushnell sent me a knee pair of binoculars but I would love to be able to repair these and have a second set for my wife or friends to use. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might fix this issue myself?

Thank you,
Brian

Attachments

• 61B761BE-B67D-42ED-9B41-56FB4A3BDDD2.jpeg
    61B761BE-B67D-42ED-9B41-56FB4A3BDDD2.jpeg
    837.6 KB · Views: 17
Hi Brian and welcome.

Do two moons appear in just one tube or is it only when both tubes are used?

If with two tubes it seems like the binocular is out of alignment.

To get two moons with one tube might be a broken prism, or a bad ghost image.

Are you observing through window glass?

How old is the binocular?

Regards,
B.

Looking at photos of the binocular type, it does not seem to be a binocular that can take knocks.

It is probable the prisms are out of alignment.

A repair costs more than the binocular new.

It is also likely that parts are glued in place.

Regards,
B.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back