• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BOW Key (2 Viewers)

Hi Björn,
Despite the capital C, I wonder if it is not simply a species in the genus Cacicus (otherwise it would be treated separately in another section)

This entry is the accepted OD of Cassicus chrysonotus, which indeed assumes it was intended to read "C. chrysonotus", and not as a genus-group name.
The taxon is explicitly called a species in the diagnosis. ("Affinis hæc species Cassico icteronoto" means "This species is close to Cassicus icteronotus".)

Despite the capital C, I wonder if it is not simply a species in the genus Cacicus (otherwise it would be treated separately in another section)
See also this entry in Hellmayr's catalogue of the Americas; apparently Hellmayr read that reference as Cassicus chrysonotus Lafresnaye and d'Orbigny (and not as a genus):

v.13:pt.10 (1937) - Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History - Biodiversity Heritage Library

Last edited:
Ok, guys, my error, my misunderstanding ...

The taxon is explicitly called a species in the diagnosis. ("Affinis hæc species Cassico icteronoto" means "This species is close to Cassicus icteronotus".)

Thus, forget about my post #259. Clearly it wasn't a Genus/Generic name.

Thanks for putting me right. (y)

I really, really should try to stay away from Latin ...

Mea culpa!

Björn

The Key, today's new specific entry:
chaski
“Our migration-tracking, genomic, physiological, and morphological analyses reveal that the northern, high-elevation resident giant hummingbird populations comprise a new species, which we describe here: Patagona chaski sp. nov. Northern Giant Hummingbird … The species name chaski is Quechua for “messenger”, referring to the revered relay runners who transported messages and goods throughout the Inka Empire. … Chaski runners were sure-footed sprinters, capable of speed and endurance on steep slopes, in part due to high-capacity lungs and rigorous aerobic training at high elevations. … The northern giant hummingbird is the dominant avian pollinator species across much of the former Inka territory, and it has a well-honed spatial memory, and extraordinary aerobic capacity and agility; it thus embodies a closely analogous suite of characteristics.” (J. L. Williamson et al. 2024) (syn. Patagona gigas).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back