• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bough beech, Kent, UK (2 Viewers)

joshjenkinsshaw

Kent Birder
Hello all,
Bough beech reservoir in West Kent is my main patch at the moment. I try to get there as soon as i can and I have only seriously been watching it in the last year or so in which time I have so far seen 124 species there which is poor compared to some others!
A full list of the species I've seen there is on BUBO but my highlights so far have been;
Grey phalarope, Great northern Diver, Pectoral sandpiper, Kittiwake, Marsh harrier, Bearded tit, Nightingale, Spot fly, Black-necked grebe, Slavonian grebe, Ospreys, Honey buzzard, Goosander, Med gull, Hobby, Lesser whitethroat, Scaup, Little tern, Arctic tern, Black tern, LRP, Ruff, Black-tailed godwit, Greenshank, Wood sandpiper, Little gull, Turtle dove, Garden warbler, Wheatear, Redpolls and Marsh tit.
254 species have been recorded overall, obviously not by me!
In 2008 I saw 119 species there and self-found Honey buzzard, Osprey and Kittiwake.

Giving this thread a bump Josh. Bough Beech is a good place. I don't get there very often and it's kinda hard to find for those who don't know their way around the NE Kent back lanes but well worth the effort. We had a mega raptor day there yesterday.......first bird we saw on arrival was a red kite looking towards the dam end. At one point there were 12 buzzards in the air at once! Two hobbies were seen, one of the regulars told us they nest in the area but best of all for me was finding an osprey, my first of the year. It flew overhead from the south and continued across the reservoir towards the end before disappearing behind some trees. It showed once more a few minutes later and hopefully will stay around for a day or so. Hope others manage to see it.

A great summers day birding for us, over 60 species altogether. And a few painted ladies too.

Joanne

Last edited:
It is not unusual for a failed or non-breeder Osprey to stay at the res for longer periods of time. I have seen 4 Ospreys at BB in 2007 and 2008, all fly throughs. Apparently they used to stick around for weeks, but fish stocks have now changed and the birds food is no longer available.

It is not unusual for a failed or non-breeder Osprey to stay at the res for longer periods of time. I have seen 4 Ospreys at BB in 2007 and 2008, all fly throughs. Apparently they used to stick around for weeks, but fish stocks have now changed and the birds food is no longer available.

What's changed about the fish stocks Josh? It's a big reservoir, I'd have thought it would be full of fish judging by the numbers of gulls, GC grebes, grey herons, cormorants and terns.

The species used to be trout (I think) and now it is another species, I forget which. So, although there are large numbers of fish, the species is not to the likeing of the Ospreys.

Very bad news from the res today. Recieved this email from the BB Recorder, Chas.
'Whilst writing I would mention a problem which arose last Saturday evening, On Saturday morning the re were 9 or 10 Common Tern chicks only one of which could possibly fly. During the evening 8 people would seen to swim out to Whiteside Island the y were challenged by 3 people who were told to ”F off”. The people concerned, quite understandably, did not wish to confront 8 obviously fit trespassers and so called the police. Unfortunately the police arrived after the trespassers had left.

On Sunday morning only 1 very small chick could be seen on Whiteside Island although at least 1 was seen on the Otter Holt.'

It seems that chicks were stolen, if anybody has seen anything suspicious please get in contact, these people must be bought to justice.

i really should pay attention to this part of the forums more. this is the worst wildlife news i've heard in a while.. i'm guessing it's not very likely that they'd be able to keep them alive either? anyone get any photos?

i was actually due to initiate myself into volunteering with the KWT down at bough beech today actually but unfortunately couldn't make it which is a shame as i hate flaking out on commitments..

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back