• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Book of Folk Names! (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
Walked through a flea market scratching myself this afternoon and found a cracking book. It is 'All the Birds of the Air. by Francesca Greenoak and covers the folklore, various names and some explanations of their names. I picked it up for £6 down from £6.50 (move over Dave Dickinson!).

It looks very good and I wondered about starting a light hearted competition by listing the various names of each bird in a thread and giving a day for folk to gues the British Name of the bird, going through the book with a league table for the ones who get it right. I will need to trust people who have this book already to refrain from entering.

What do you all think? Will any of the moderators tell me if this is alright to go ahead with, it is an out of print book after all.

Attachments

• booksy.jpg
    booksy.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 234
Great idea.. i think it should be guessing..because someone is bound to find a site with all the folk names and common names and will deprive the rest of us!

I will need to rely on honesty and the ones who cheat will be obvious to all and come under friendly ribbing.

Just a quickie, Andrew...

This book is technically not out of print, but has changed title.

I've plugged it three times at least on BF now as "British Birds, their Folklore, Names and Literature."

Great Book tho, innit?

(I actually thought of doing something similar myself, but it all got a bit complicated - probably because I overcomplicate everything! - but if you want to do anything quizzy based on the names and you want to do a bit of virtual brainstorming, drop me a pm. (Although don't feel obliged!))

PM sent and agreed it is a great book. I want the approval of a moderator so as not to tread on anyone's toes.

I've just ordered the new version from Amazon - it's 14.99 so it pays to root around for bargains. I nearly always check out any book with abebooks (Advanced Book Exchange) at www.abebooks.co.uk, but in this case didn't know there was an earlier print. Shucks!

Alan Hill

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back