• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bonanza Salinas Access (1 Viewer)

Barred Wobbler

I don’t know if this has been mentioned before but I was greatly disappointed when I visited Bonanza Salinas today. For years one of my favourite places there was the pumping station at the end of the right hand track from the T junction at the far end of the main track. Great for just packing up and watching and photographing the birds using that great lagoon. Birds such as feeding Caspian terns almost close enough to touch, ospreys hunting and feeding, little terns diving, hundreds of flamingos, black-tailed godwits etc, etc. that spot was the main reason for me driving all the way from the south coast to visit.

No more.

Since my last visit there in January 2020, just before covid kicked off, somebody has been busy. The entire right hand track is blocked at its start by a full width blue-painted steel gate, topped with spikes. The left hand track was inaccessible today because of bad ruts near its commencement, so who knows what it was like further on, where it is usually less than good. A mixed flock of curlew sandpipers, dunlin, sanderling, redshank a few ringed and Kentish plovers and some little stints, plus a distant slender-billed gull were as good as it got today.

Shame, I've been there a couple of times but I have to say I was always a bit surprised access was freely allowed at all to the tracks of a working saltworks.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back