• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black oil sunflower seeds vs sunflower hearts (1 Viewer)

Old timer

United States
No contest. Hearts by a wide margin. No waste / no mess. Everything eats the hearts; finch, cardinals, woodpeckers, chickadees, juncos, doves, almost any bird that comes to a feeder will eat hearts. Only thing to be careful of is that hearts are available in 3 categories - whole, medium, and fine. The fine tend to coagulate and spoil quickly in damp weather, the medium seem to be the favorite of the majority of feeder birds. The whole tend to be more expensive. I feed hearts almost exclusively, except in winter when I subsidizes them with suet & peanuts.

i agree

i got some sunflower hearts for my feeders........it took my eurasian goldfinch 3 days to eat the lot

The "medium" are too large for the finches at my feeders and so more than half would get tossed to the ground where they attracted various rodents. I switched to black oil in the shell sunflower seeds and use them in a platform feeder and no more wasted seed. The hulls fall to the ground and become organic compost for the soil.

For the finches my primary feeder is one for thistle and I use one platform feeder with the sunflower seeds in the shell and another platform feeder with a no waste mix.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back