• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds around Irlam Manchester (1 Viewer)

Janshorty

:flyaway: Hello, I am new to this site, so I thought I would make a start by telling everyone about the birds I have seen in my garden and the local area.

I have lots of feeders in the garden and as a result I am regularly visited by the following:
Robins, wrens, blackbirds, mistle thrushes, magpies, jays, goldfinch's, greenfinch's, chaffinch's, blue/longtailed/great and coal tits, Great spotted woodpecker, sparrows, siskins, ring necked doves, ferrel and wood pigeons, starlings and with a great buffet like that laid out the local 'freindly' sparrow hawk!!!

I lived 2 miles down the road in Cadishead up until 2 years ago and only ever got sparrows and blue tits in the garden, so you can imagine my amazement when I discovered all these new feathered friends.

I live right alongside 'The old river' and on there we have swans, canadian geese, mallards, coots and moor hens. The swans, geese and ducks come up to the houses to beg for food with the ducks in particular spending most of the day either on the front lawn, in the back garden or sat on the roof. We love this, and it is great for my two daughters, the downside is the expense of duck, swan and bird food and the garden and car being permanentley covered in poo!!

After watching Bill Oddie on BBC recentley I am hoping to catch sight of a kingfisher by the river, I will let you know if I spot one.

Hi Jan, from someone who used to live in Monton many years ago! I hope you enjoy the forum, and keep us up to date on the birds you see, it will come in handy for me next time I'm up in Manchester. :)

Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back