• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding trip in July (1 Viewer)

Brucew

My wife and I are beginning to plan a 2 to 3 week trip in mid July to northern Finland. We are hoping to either camp or hostel. Tentatively thinking of night train to Rovaniemi and rental car to either Akaslompolo or Saariselka for a week. North to Varanger area for about a week. Then back to Helsinki for a few days before flying back to Paris.
We would appreciate any advice as to locations, possible good birds( we hae birdedand lived in Northern Canada so are familair with common and king eiders, Long tailed ducks and jaegers). We are able to get a condo for a week for about 300USD in one of 3 ski locations: Akoslompolo, Saariselka or Sallatunturi.
Any good guides in that area? Bird finding guides? esp anything in e form.
Thanks, Bruce and Bonnie

You could start with these reports to get an idea what can be seen and where.
If I were you, I would go to see bears too. Forested part of Lapland can be a bit boring (since it looks all the same), but you will love Varanger and the northest parts of Lapland.

Attachments

• IMG_6871.JPG
    IMG_6871.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_6922.JPG
    IMG_6922.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1027.JPG
    IMG_1027.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 74
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back