• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding the Yucatan (1 Viewer)

Peacefrog2

I am considering a birding trip for mid-March and the area at the top of my list is the Yucatan. I have Howell’s bird-finding guide and am feeling a bit overwhelmed with the information and am also a little concerned that the information may be a bit dated (the most recent information appears to be from the late 1990’s). Would anyone recommend a few key sites to visit? My plan is to spend about five days in the area so my time is fairly limited so I would like to try to hit the high points.

Thanks,

Greg

Howell´s guide is very good and there will not be anything better. When I travelled around the Yucatan (admittedly many years ago), many of the sites I visted were also major archaeological sites. I assume that its because the habitat surrounding the sites has been protected, though it may also be down to coverage. the protection will mean it is unlikely that these sites will have changed much.
Some recent trip reports should help. Try here (http://www.travellingbirder.com/birdwatching/birding_Mexico.php)

Tom

Thanks for the help so far. I have a couple more questions. First, I noticed that there are two seemingly similar books available by Howell. The one I own “A Bird Finding Guide to Mexico” which has 365 pages and “Where to Watch Birds in Mexico” which is 512 pages. They both appear to have been published at the same time. Is there a reason to buy the 512 page version if I already own the 365 page version? Does anyone know what the difference between the two is?

Second, I think I have narrowed down my birding sites to the Progresso area, Dzibilchaltun, Celestun and Uxmal. If anyone has been to any of these sites recently can you offer any tips? Are these all still productive birding locations?

Thanks again,

Greg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back