• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Southern Mexico April 2014 (3 Viewers)

lewis20126

Hi all

I wil be on a self drive trip around the South from 12th April - 4th May 2014, taking in all of the usual sites, with the exception of El Triumfo. We'll be using Steve Howell's book, but I'm aware that some things may have changed so this is a request for any important updates.

If anyone knows about the nest box schemes for Unspotted Saw-whet Owl and Bearded Screech Owl in Chiapas do let me know, or local guides who may know.

PM as required.

Thanks for any info! B :)

thanks, alan

Alan, I was in Yucatan a couple of years ago, but not any further west. Is that included in your area of interest?

Niels

Alan, I was in Yucatan a couple of years ago, but not any further west. Is that included in your area of interest?

Niels

Niels,

Yes, I'm even looking at a morning in the vicinity of the botanical gardens south of Cancun but they are proving very hard to locate!

cheers, alan

Birded Yucatan several years ago. Here are my comments about the botanical gardens in an email I sent home:

I decided I wouldn't stay the second night since I'd found few birds in Cancun. I caught an early bus to Puerto Morelos with my suitcase in tow (no easy matter) and chair atop it. Got to the Botanical Gardens at 7:30 and they let me in though they didn't open till 9. I had a great time there. They kept my suitcase in the office. The birds were hard to see but I still had a good time and have had 4 life birds. When I finished I took a taxi back to the bus station and another bus to Felipe Carillo Puerto which took 4plus hours. I had a tuna packet half a roll and water for lunch. When I got off the bus in fcp two women were selling stuff that smelled really good--and it was! Then I got a hotel room at the same place I have reservations tomorrow. It's less than great and the room with ac was taken tonight. Ah well. I have a fan at least. I just walked all over this small town and checked out the other 4-5 hotels. Think I'll switch tomorrow. This internet cafe is not air conditioned and I'm dripping.

Well...pardon my posting a month after your trip! I misread your posting date. Ah well, maybe the reply will help others who are going. Will you be posting a trip report? I wonder how things have changed since I was there.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back