• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Romania (1 Viewer)

P Herrmann

Hello Birders,

I am a student from Eastern-Germany and I am studying nature conservation. From 27.5.2004 to 12.6.2004 a group of students (also me) of my university makes a excursion to the Nationalpark Domogled. We go there to monitore 12 Days Bats, Butterflies, Plants and also Birds.

Do you have any informations you can send me about the birds we can see overthere???

Thank you very much

Greetings

Philipp Herrmann

Hi Philipp,

Welcome to BirdForum!

Where in Romania is Domogled? (it is not marked in my atlas!)

I have seen about 10 species in Romania, all by looking across the Danube from Bulgaria. Probably not a lot of help, unless you are in the far south of Romania, but I would recommend Lake Bistrets in the far southwest of Romania, south of Craiova: there are about 200 Pelecanus crispus live there.

Michael

Hi Philipp,

May I wish you a warm welcome to Birdforum on behalf of all the Admin, Staff and Moderators.

I am not sure how many members we have with a knowledge of Romania, but I hope you will be able to find someone to answer your questions.

Hi Philipp I was due to go to Romania last year on holiday but had to cancel due to ill health , but I am going in June. I bought James Roberts excellant birdwatching guide to Romania and in this he mentions Varful Domogled and the town of Baile Herculane in south west Transylvania.Birds in the area include Golden ,Short Toed and Spotted Eagles , Honey Buzzard ,Goshawk ,Peregrine ,Hazelhen ,Nightjar ,Eagle and Long Eared Owls ,Bee-eaters ,Roller ,Red Rumped Swallow ,Crag Martin ,Rock Thrush ,Rock Bunting ,Red Backed Shrike and all the European Woodpeckers are present.Sounds like a great place hope you enjoy yourself.

Hi Philipp,

Hope it's not to late. Indeed Domogled is a really good place for birding. For those who don't know, Domogled NP is in SW Romania, next to the Danube appr. where the Danube makes that strange curve, next to the city called Herculane. The site is exceptionally good for buntings and birds of prey. The area held the last known Peregrine nest, but one can see Golden eagles, Short toed ones and so on. I would certainly look for Wallcreeper, Red-rumped Swallows (mainly in the Cerna gorges!), cirl, rock buntings, Crag martin and Alpine swift.
John, I wouldn't beleive all that late James Roberts wrote there (regarding birds), but basically the sites he mentiones are good birding spots.
So if you need any more information about the site please don't hesitate to conntact me
Jozsef

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back