• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding pac or bag (1 Viewer)

nightheron28

Exterminate! Exterminate! Exxxtttteeeerrrrmmmiinat
For some reason up to this point I have never needed a pac or bag. All of a sudden though now I have bins, compact Camera, Couple guides I am going to need to take with me on a trip and I am going to need a bag to hold it all and be able to keep rain out and keep the things somewhat padded inside or a little crush resistant, in case of accidental falls. Can anyone make a recommendation? Thanks in advance for any advice.

my Best Bag

For some reason up to this point I have never needed a pac or bag. All of a sudden though now I have bins, compact Camera, Couple guides I am going to need to take with me on a trip and I am going to need a bag to hold it all and be able to keep rain out and keep the things somewhat padded inside or a little crush resistant, in case of accidental falls. Can anyone make a recommendation? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi

I have to carry compact camera with digiscope attachments, bridge camera binoculars, collins black book, lunch etc....

Afte a lot of searching I bought the LowePro Orion Trekker II. Look on their website for details http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/classic/Orion_Trekker_II.aspx.

I paid £41 over here. I ssume that as it is an International brand you should be able to get it in the US.

If the website doesnt answer al your questions feel free to PM me but am away from 11th June to 14th June.

Hi

I have to carry compact camera with digiscope attachments, bridge camera binoculars, collins black book, lunch etc....

Afte a lot of searching I bought the LowePro Orion Trekker II. Look on their website for details http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/classic/Orion_Trekker_II.aspx.

I paid £41 over here. I ssume that as it is an International brand you should be able to get it in the US.

If the website doesnt answer al your questions feel free to PM me but am away from 11th June to 14th June.

Oh yeah, they have those over here! I have seen them in shops. Is it water resistant though?? That is a very important requirement as I will be in an area that has frequent sudden downpours.

Not sure - I have walked in the rain with it and nothing inside got wet. It even has covers over the zips - but I cant say how water risistant or proof it is you will have to check with the manufacturers or a retailer. They do have waterproof bags on their website.

Lowepro is excellent for outdoor use - I have about 8-9 of their different bags for my camera gear.

Make sure you get a bag with the AW (All Weather label). The fabric itself is made quite water-resistant, but all AW bags have a built-in waterproof rain cover which keeps water out even in a torrential downpour.

And Lowepro's customer service is top-notch. Last year, while shooting the Pushkar Camel Fair, my beltpack kept coming loose repeatedly and fell off a couple of times. I shot off a really annoyed email to them - one of their VPs personally Fedexed me replacement buckles (at a cost of over $100 to them) and one of their design guys emailed me about some suggestions I had made re. the design. Hard to beat that.

THAT being said, I am considering being unfaithful to Lowepro - this particular bag has really caught my eye. It is a camera bag, but looks like it would be ideal for carrying a bino, field guide, notebook and various bits and bobs:
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_ChngUp_Configs.php
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_UrbnDsgs.php

Vandit

Lowepro is excellent for outdoor use - I have about 8-9 of their different bags for my camera gear.

Make sure you get a bag with the AW (All Weather label). The fabric itself is made quite water-resistant, but all AW bags have a built-in waterproof rain cover which keeps water out even in a torrential downpour.

And Lowepro's customer service is top-notch. Last year, while shooting the Pushkar Camel Fair, my beltpack kept coming loose repeatedly and fell off a couple of times. I shot off a really annoyed email to them - one of their VPs personally Fedexed me replacement buckles (at a cost of over $100 to them) and one of their design guys emailed me about some suggestions I had made re. the design. Hard to beat that.

THAT being said, I am considering being unfaithful to Lowepro - this particular bag has really caught my eye. It is a camera bag, but looks like it would be ideal for carrying a bino, field guide, notebook and various bits and bobs:
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_ChngUp_Configs.php
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_UrbnDsgs.php

Vandit

Which of those urban disguise bag were you thinking of getting?

I was thinking of the Changeup, actually... I've realized that I hate carrying shoulder bags, especially all day. Were it not for that fact, the Changeup 20 was what caught my eye. The Nat Geo shoulder bags are also quite nice, although not waterproof, which rules them out for me.

I am most likely going to see the TT bags first. I really find it hard to judge size based on published dimensions. Need to see it to figure out which size I need.

Vandit

I was thinking of the Changeup, actually... I've realized that I hate carrying shoulder bags, especially all day. Were it not for that fact, the Changeup 20 was what caught my eye. The Nat Geo shoulder bags are also quite nice, although not waterproof, which rules them out for me.

I am most likely going to see the TT bags first. I really find it hard to judge size based on published dimensions. Need to see it to figure out which size I need.

Vandit

I didn't notice but is the changeup 20 waterproof or resistant?

Thanks!

I gotta check up on that, to be honest, but I don't believe it is (anyone know for sure, please chime in!).

When I was looking to get a belt system, I spoke to both Lowepro & TT about their designs. The TT system is designed for event photography as opposed to field trips, and they claim "water resistant" only. At that time, they didnt really have a very satisying rain solution either (I dont remember the details now, but I do remember not being very convinced by their answer on how the system handled in heavy rain). So I dont expect the Changeup to be any different.

However, REI sells various pack covers in different sizes, any of which can easily be put over the pack. They are also fairly easy to get custom-made. So I'm not too fussed over it.

Vandit

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back