• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Northern Queensland (1 Viewer)

seamons

I am researching a birding trip to Northern Queensland (likely to be July-Sept 06). Any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated - especially, tips on relliable spots to find:

Golden-Shouldered Parrot (I have read Lakefield NP waterholes early morning in dry season?)

Double-Eyed Fig Parrot (again, I have read Yungaburra State School when figs fruiting - are they fruiting July - Sept?!).

I am particularly interested in visiting Iron Range NP for the PNG species (Palm Cockatoo, Red-Bellied Pitta, Yellow-Billed Kingfisher, etc). Any advice on visiting this remote region would be great! :)

Many thanks, John

Last edited:
Iron Range NP is probably the birding location I most want to visit in the world, but I haven't been so I can't help you! What a place it must be though. There was an article in Birding World about it not long ago, I'll see if I can dig it out when I get home.

I presume you'll be going through Cairns at some stage. Double-eyed Fig Parrots were on the Esplanade at Cairns, saw one peeping out of a nest hole at eyelevel by the main path. Also in the Centenary Lakes at Cairns (where I also saw a family of Lovely Fairy-wrens and Black Bittern). Didn't get into GS Parrot range unfortunately.

I wrote a trip report about Australia and another about a day's birding near Julatten
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=28912
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=27274

NE Queensland is magnificent, birds superabundant, people couldn't be friendlier and it's tropical birding without malaria and dysentery (just crocs and snakes to contend with). I'm sure a trip to the more remote areas further north will be incredibly rewarding.

E

Hi seamons, I worked in Queensland just a few months ago, a few miles north of Iron range NP. Its a lovely national park, you got opportunity to see some really rare Australian bird, such the ones you mentioned the palm cockatoo and species such the eclectus parrot, buff-breasted button-quail and Radjah shelduck it also harbor some rare mammals such tree kangaroos and bandicoots. The guides which is working in the park is great and can advice you to areas where you have large chance to spot many species, the park is also quite easy to get to and the nature is really amazing, especially the rainforest parts.

I know that the Double-eyed has been reported from Iron Range but despite searching I did never saw the species in Iron range Np myself, but a few miles north they are plenty and if you travel a few miles north of Iron range you got very good chances of seeing this parrot.

If I remeber right the fruiting season in Australia is June to the begining or mid August, but it can variety a little bit.

Other species that I suggest you to look after is species such the Varied lorikeet, which northern limits in Cape York is the Iron range region, Helmeted friarbird, Tawny-breasted honeyeater, White-faced robin and Gouldian finch.

Hey there........ A buddy and I flew from Cairns to Lockhart River with a tent and some cans of strange Australian breakfast food. We waited just a few minutes before a total stranger (for 20 dollars) drove us into the park, then picked us up 5 days later. We stayed just off the road near an old homestead with a huge mango tree and water down a trail. The birding is excellent. We even saw a Cassowary. Just walked a different route each day. It was very buggy though. And loads of bitey ants. Bring a good torch for the night. We roughed it........and it was worth it. Chris Hi Edward!

Last edited:
Hi John

The article on Cape York in Birding World is in Issue 218, Volume 18 No. 2. It's a short article (1 page) but well worth looking at if you can get hold of a copy. It'll certainly whet your appetite (the authors saw Golden-shouldered Parrot). I think you'll be too early for Red-bellied Pitta though, it's a migrant from PNG and arrives late, ditto Buff-breasted Paradise-Kingfisher. Greetings Chris D, long time no hear!

E

The red-bellied pitta is not just a migrant, the subspecies Pitta erythrogaster macklotii is a bird resident to most parts of Papua New Guinea, including many off-shore islands and the northern tips of Cape York.

Hi Edward. I keep a low profile. My wife and I are heading to the Highlands of Eastern Sarawak next week. Should be fun. I really enjoyed the birds of the Malay Pennisula's Highlands. This could be even better. Then back to Lipah, Bali to let everything heal in the ocean. Hopefully we'll be back visiting our friends in Queensland soon and feeding their local birds chunks of ham. Aussie birds are still my fave......Chris

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back