• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding near Livonia? (1 Viewer)

Daffyduck

Hi, Im going to visit my good friends in Livonia and was wondering if it would be best to go in either Sept or Oct?

Also are there any good birding sites around there - say within 50 miles of Livonia as I will hire a car.

And finally, if you were going to Mitchigan which 2 sites would you say were a definate to see at that time of the year (as I can always go and stay overnight)

Thanks ever so much for your help.
Tina (Cambridge UK)

I would recommend Lake Erie Metro park in Bownstown for one, about 35 miles southeast of Livonia. they are one of the premier hawk watch sites in the US. Here is a bit about a festival they have in Sep:

Hawkfest
Saturday & Sunday, September 20 & 21
Lake Erie Metropark, in Brownstown
1-800-477-3189 or 734-379-5020
The annual fall migration of birds of prey - hawks, eagles, falcons, owls and vultures - is celebrated at this premier hawkwatching site. See live birds, demonstrations and exhibits.

as far as timing goes I would recommend September before many neotropical migrants move out of the state on their southward migration. It depends also on which birds you want to see. If you want to see shorebirds or neotropical migrants go early in September if you want to see ducks, gulls, or boreal migrants go later in October. I would also recommend A Birder's Guide to Michigan before you arrive as a good resource that is mentioned on previous posts on this Michigan forum

BA

I would also recommend A Birder's Guide to Michigan. It lists many locations that great for birding. One place I like a lot is Kensington Metropark near Milford. Check out my photo gallery here on Birdforum as many of my pics were taken there.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back