• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in the Yucatan with a guide (1 Viewer)

Hola, just spent a week birding throughout the Yucatan with Miguel Amar of Amar Aves Tours. we had requested a broad ranging trip (had a driver and small van) that let us see lots of different habitats and of course a wide variety of species. Miguel was an incredible guide and is also federally licensed as a historical site guide so it was cool when we toured historical sites looking for birds he told us all about the structures. My wife and I have birded abroad a good bit and this was one of the best trips we've taken as there is so much diversity on the Yucatan. We also spent a day (and then later a week) in Cozumel.

On Miguel I'll add that he is very attentive to detail and took care of our every need. He is a wonderful English speaker so we had some great conversations. If you are looking into a trip down that way hit him up: [email protected]

Our trip lasted 6 days and we were in a new location each day and basically did a sweep of the Yucatan peninsula. Each morning we were up before sunrise (Miguel makes great coffee!!) and waiting in the jungle for the birds to wake up and start looking for breakfast. We averaged 50 species a day, so a list of all we saw would be lengthy but lots of warblers, hummingbirds and larger birds. It was incredible!

Looking forward to your report, I birded earlier this year with Miguel and would love to see what species you were able to see that I missed out on!

Looking forward to your report, I birded earlier this year with Miguel and would love to see what species you were able to see that I missed out on!
Goodness, we saw so many birds (50 species a day) so it would be tough to put a list together. Miguel sent a list to my wife and I'll check with her. my favorites were a pygmy kingfisher, snail kite and a pygmy burrowing owl.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back