• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in the South of Hungary next week? (1 Viewer)

bitterntwisted

Graham Howard Shortt
I'm in Budapest for a meeting next Thursday so I'm staying for the whole of the Bank Holiday weekend - will pick up a car from Thursday evening to Monday afternoon and drive and camp. Only been birding abroad once - Pyrenees, plains and Ebro Delta six weeks ago, so there's a lot of lifers waiting for me all over Hungary I hope.

All previous threads concentrate on Templen, Bukk, Hortobagy. Thing is, I intended to visit the south of Hungary - Baja, Pecs, and Kesckemet areas, as I was there for two summers twenty years ago and it's a bit of a sentimental return. Isn't there any good birding in this area?

And if I am tempted to the Hortobagy can I pick up a guide (which seems to be essential) locally at short notice - or do I need to sort it out and commit to it now?

Thanks,
Graham

I can't help with the south of Hungary but was in the Bukk hills area in June and made two visits to the Hortobagy.

We had a guide for our first visit and this was arranged for us by the owner of Farm Lator where we stayed. This was done only the day before, so pretty short notice. It was a personal contact but he was an official guide.

They spoke good English at the visitors centre in Hortobagy village so it would be possible to check on the situation first just in case.

As you probably know anyway, it's not really necessary to have a guide to visit the fish ponds but you do need one to see any of the restricted areas (for Great Bustard for instance).

If going to the Hortobagy, a visit to the centre is essential as you even need permits to walk independently around many of the fish ponds (so we found out in May when we got told off). They are very helpful at the centre though, as Graham mentions, and we got the feeling guides could be arranged for the following day. We chose not to go with a guide (although would do so next time) but if you're only there for a short while I think it would be pretty essential.
Have fun!
Hils

Try a guy called Janos Olah (junior), used to run a company called Saker tours -nice chap, a friend of Gerard Gorman. They may give you some information or help but perhaps at a fee. Have a great trip.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'll get in touch with Farm Lator and Saker Tours tomorrow to see if I can organise something with them around Hortobagy and possibly Bukk on Friday or Saturday. I guess I have to go see those areas while I have the chance.

I'll still definitely be visiting Kiskunhalas, Baja and Pecs on the Sunday and Monday and would appreciate any tips on briding stops on that route.

Thanks again,
Graham

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back