• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in the Netherlands? (1 Viewer)

scodger

Hi

Just returned from a casual birding week and thought I'd pass these on

http://www.mariahoeve-logies.nl/

is a great self-catering place to stay on the edge of a polder, managed by wildlife friendly dairy farmers, just a few minutes walk and you are into seeing ( in May anyway ) Bluethroat, Savis's, Spoonbill, Black-tailed Godwit, Buzzard, Hobby, numerous other duck and wader species ... bicycles and a motor boat to hire for further exploration. Only 30 minutes drive from Schipol and 20 minutes or so or less from Gouda, The Hague, Leiden, Delft, Utrecht, etc for some cultural stuff. ( Check suitability of the cottages, we had one with an almost vertical spiral staircase, Ok for us just but could be problematical for kids or the elderly, also check bedrooms are seperated, in ours you had to go through one to get to the other ). Lovely people and you can go and watch the cows being milked etc

And only 20 minutes across rural country to this place, http://www.natuurmonumenten.nl/content/groene-jonker-0 , a new development of wetlands from farmland, and chocker with marsh and water birds, ( Black Tern, Bluethroat, Bittern, Savis, Cettis, Black-necked Grebe, and loads of geese and ducks ). Could turn up anything and well worth a visit if you are staying nearby or passing on a birding trip. No hides as yet but will surely come.

Nearby but closed at the moment is Nieuwkoop, again great for water birds but because of the closure I didnt get there.

Nearby but closed at the moment is Nieuwkoop, again great for water birds but because of the closure I didnt get there.
Good views of the area can be had from the Hollandse Kade and Noorden to the northeast of the Nieuwkoopse Plassen: Purple Heron will at least fly by. Boat trips can be arranged from the visitor's centre in Nieuwkoop. Used to be one of my favourite areas (also good for plants).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back