• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Netherlands in March/April (1 Viewer)

medaacek

Dear friends,

we are planning one week holiday in Netherlands this year at the end of March/begining of April - could you please suggests some good spots for bird photography? Is the migration on already at that time? Is Texel island already full of birds at that time? Any help is very appreciated!

With many thanks

Jiri

March is not the best month to go birding in the Netherlands, as some of the winter birds are leaving, but migrants can still be thin on the ground. However, some birds (like wheatears and Black Redstart) are already on the move by the end of March and the islands can be full of thrushes. Bluethroat will definitely be back and with some luck Savi's Warbler too. I'll give more info this evening.

Thanks a lot! I have got another andwers that Texel might be quite got already at the beginning of April so I will see! I will appreciate another information from you! We will probably explore the whole Dutch coast...

So what is there to see in March–April?
Most geese and ducks can still be found. Ross's Goose and Red-breasted Goose are distinct possibilities. Garganey is back, but scarce. The first Purple Herons (Zouweboezem (for photography), Kinderdijk (for landscape) are probably best locations) and Spoonbills (e.g. Texel, Oostvaardersplassen) are back, as are Savi's Warbler, Sedge Warbler and Bluethroat (widespread, but easiest at Oostvaardersplassen I guess). You cannot miss Great Egret.
It's too early for a large variety of waders, but Kentish Plover should be possible (more chance in the southwest).
Mediterranean Gull is present (again the southwest offers the best opportunities), as are Sandwich and Common Tern (for the others, it's probably too early).
Shore Lark, Snow Bunting and possibly Twite and Lapland Bunting should still be present on the isles in the north (including Texel); while Grasshopper Warbler and Nightingale are returning in early April.
It is the best time to see Pied Wagtail in the Netherlands... just check all the White Wagtails on Texel!
For many Dutch people, this is the time of year to go and check out Corn Bunting, Middle Spotted Woodpecker and Eagle Owl in the far southeast, but those may not be too interesting for someone from the Czech Republic.
There's always the possibility of something rare turning up: with an internet connection you could check http://waarneming.nl/index.php?lang=en&local=nl (this site can be watched in English and can give you a good idea where to search for certain species) and http://www.dutchbirdalerts.nl/index.action (click the bird name to see its English name + location).

On a nice day with easterly winds, you can do worse than visit the migration hotspot of Breskens. Here's an example of last year: http://trektellen.nl/trektelling.asp?telpost=1&site=0&land=1&taal=2&datum=20090402 (don't go there when the wind is westerly: usually that's disappointing). A good spot to practice photographing flying birds – don't expect anything on the ground! This site is one of the best for Zitting Cisticola in the country (if they survive this winter) and Cetti's Warbler is also present. There are some nice areas nearby.

The foregoing is all very useful, thanks for posting.

In the event that I don't find a Black Woodpecker in France later this spring, my next opportunity to look for one would be a trip to North Holland (staying near Laren with friends) which I could take at almost any time of year. Looking at http://waarneming.nl seems to suggest that these birds are absent from April to September, and present from October to March only, with sightings most prevalent January- March.

I'm used to woodpeckers being most visible at this time of year, but do Black Woodpeckers really leave this area from April to September? Is there zero chance of seeing one?

Thanks

EDIT:
OK, I've dug a bit deeper into that website and it's clear they are still present but much, much harder to see, and especially in that province. So it's probably one for March next year ... unless anyone can give me any better tips or info.

Last edited:
ROTFL! :king: :-O

Black woodpecker is not difficult to see all year. Only Dutch birders don't go into the forest in summer! Waarneming.nl shows some strange patterns like this.

I remember seeing them many times in Veluwe, esp. areas called Nieuw-Milligen - Caitwickerzand (approx. 181.266 468.748 on Waarneming, from A2 go on N302, there is a parking and ice-cream booth on the W side of the road, and paths going west and north-west) and Otterlo - Mosselsche Zand (181.506-454.376). Where patches of older wood are cut by heaths and meadows, they will fly over open between woods. It is much easier than seeing them in the closed forest.

Thanks. The reporting pattern struck me as odd - I know they'll be calling and displaying early in the calendar year, but the almost complete absence of records in North Holland (as I mentioned, I'll be based near Laren and won't have a car) was a surprise. Having seen loads of records come in this jan-Mar for sites I know I can cover, it came as a shock to find no historical data of note between April and September on those sites. I suspect these birds are findable any time of year and I don't need to go Jan - Mar.

The foregoing is all very useful, thanks for posting.

In the event that I don't find a Black Woodpecker in France later this spring, my next opportunity to look for one would be a trip to North Holland (staying near Laren with friends) which I could take at almost any time of year. Looking at http://waarneming.nl seems to suggest that these birds are absent from April to September, and present from October to March only, with sightings most prevalent January- March.

I'm used to woodpeckers being most visible at this time of year, but do Black Woodpeckers really leave this area from April to September? Is there zero chance of seeing one?

Thanks

I live only a few kilometers from Laren, Noord-Holland, I think your best bet for Black Woodpecker is Het Spanderswoud, a mixed forest between Bussum en Hilversum. It's one of my favourite woods for Black Woodpeckers, I make visits all year round because it's nearby, and it's a resident bird there. I hear and see them any time of year. Also Raven can be heard and seen, as well as Goshawk, Buzzard and Hawfinch.

Het Spanderswoud is not very far from Laren, certainly by bicycle.

I'll make a few visits next week and will report back here for an update.

Best regards,

Ronald

Thanks Ronald. I'd been thinking of Het Spanderswoud and Zuiderheide as the likely places to check out, so I'm glad I'm getting some of this right! It would be great to get an update.

Black Woodpecker should be seen year round. But the february/march period is the easiest time of year because you can hear them best. A few weeks ago I saw them in Spanderswoud. A very nice area, unforunatly a lot of those rotten dogs around. The best time is to go early, not for the woodpeckers, but the dogowners are still in a deep sleep!

Today I was in Het Spanderswoud from 4 to 6.30 pm, saw two Buzzards chased by a Raven, same Raven chased by a Carrion Crow, an inquisitive Goshawk flying by to see what all the racket was about and chasing all.
Further I got Great, Blue, Coal, Willow, Marsh, Longtailed and Crested Tit,
Goldfinch, Hawfinch, Willow Warbler, Blackcap ( my first singing male this year), another calling Goshawk, Sparrowhawk, Great Spotted Woodpecker, but

no Black Woodpeckers, seen or heard.

I'm glad Norman ( Malloot ) has seen them, so I know they are there.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow or this weekend.

Best regards,

Ronald

Thanks gentlemen. I'm not sure yet when we'll be over - partly this is down to the hospitality of our hosts at Laren - but it would be grim if we couldn't find the birds. Maybe we should wait til next Feb/Mar when the birds give themselves up! Crested Tit would be good, though!

Visited Het Spanderswoud today, from 4 to 7 p.m.
I heard the flight call of Black Woodpecker twice, around quarter to seven.
So they are there. Perhaps the early morning hours will make a visit more rewarding.

I asked around for other good spots near Laren; the Bussumerheide and Westerheide are good places too for Black Woodpecker. Early morning hours are best.

A bit further away, but the location with the best chance to hear and see Black Woodpecker year round, is De Stulp, near the village of Lage Vuursche. Predominantly pine tree, surrounding an open heath area. Lage Vuursche is some 12 miles south-east of Laren.
A walk around the open area should provide one or more Black Woodpeckers. I've seen them here any time of day, but early morning hours or late afternoon there are fewer people and it's more peaceful.
Also good for Crested Tit, too!

Another good spot is Einde Gooi, west of the village Hollandsche Rading, south of Hilversum.
Hollandsche Rading is small, but has a train station, with the woods of Einde Gooi within walking distance.

I hope I've given enough information.

Good luck!

Kind regards,

Ronald

SiG,

A birding buddy of mine had Black Woodpeckers calling 500 meters West of Het Spanderswoud, in a stretch of wood dominated by tall, old beeches. The name of this small estate is Hilverbeek/Spanderswoud.
There has to be at least one pair of BW breeding there, I found out after some asking around. I'll visit this location and will see if I can find a fresh nest hole. I'll have to be very cautious not to disturb them, so I will stay on the paths and keep my distance.

I'll let you know here later.

Kind regards,

Ronald

Ronald - excuse brevity as I am far from home on a fiddly mobile device. This is superb info, many thanks indeed.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back