• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in kent info please (1 Viewer)

James Day

Due to family holiday I am hoping to go birding in Kent next week - whole day (10 am - 5 ish). Looking at my "where to watch" book I was considering Stodmarsh/Elmley/Cliffe. Any where else you'd recommend this time of year? Or how about a 2 stop itinery via a lunch spot? Will I need to consult tide times at all? (for the birding, not the lunch)
I'm quite a fan of bird hides with my flask of coffee if that helps any decisions!

Ta.

You've mentioned three of the better but a small reserve near Faversham called Oare Marshes is brilliant for waders and ducks. Especially two hours either side of high tide. You should see plenty at Stodmarsh but the Grove Ferry end is probably best. Dungeness RSPB has quite a few birds at the moment and if youre up for a seawatch from the point it might prove worthwhile with Skuas a probability. Elmley is good but its a bloody long walk before you get to the good stuff - worth bearing in mind!

Have a look on www.kentos.org.uk for latest sightings from some places in Kent. The Dungeness, Stour Valley (Grove Ferry/Stodmarsh), Oare Marshes and Thanet sightings are updated regularly.

Paul

PaulK said:
Elmley is good but its a bloody long walk before you get to the good stuff - worth bearing in mind!

Have a look on www.kentos.org.uk for latest sightings from some places in Kent. The Dungeness, Stour Valley (Grove Ferry/Stodmarsh), Oare Marshes and Thanet sightings are updated regularly.

Paul

many thanks for that Paul, I did wonder about the Elmley walk as I read my book. Looks like the stour valley will be my destination, with a trip to Oare reserve if I get another "free" day.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back