• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in France (1 Viewer)

Richard Ford

BF Member
Hi all

I am sure someone will be able to help and I believe there was a recent article in one of the Bird watching Mags that could have answered all my questions, if someone could scan it, or photocopy and post it to me I would be grateful.

I will be going to France for a day trip (Eurotunnel) in mid august and plan to fit in a few hours birding if possible. So what could I see and where within a few miles or a short drive from Calais?
I have no idea really but I suspect a few Heron species not common in this country (UK), Crested Tit, Cirl Bunting.
I don’t know but I am sure one of you does.
Thanks in advance

Richard

I have just found this quote on the web.

"A number of species rare or scarce across the Channel are tolerably easy to find in the Pas de Calais (e.g. Honey Buzzard, Melodious Warbler, Icterine Warbler, Golden Oriole, Kentish Plover, Little Egret, Spoonbill, Crested Lark, Bluethroat, Marsh Warbler, Crested Tit and Serin) and other good species are possible with luck or effort (e.g. Great Reed Warbler, Bee-eater, Common Rosefinch and Black-winged Stilt)."

Now that has sure wet my appetite.

I will continue to see what info I can get of the Web, but any first hand information or advise would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Rich

I'm going to the St. Malo area in a couple of weeks and picked up a copy of "The birdwatchers guide to france - north of the loire" at the birdfair (AM's father lives in Brittany, her sister is about 40km from Tours). The data for the Calais area is pretty close to that on the birdtours web page.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back