• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birding holidays any advice (1 Viewer)

irish dipper

Hi just thought I would treat myself to a birding holiday for a change and just looking for advice . I was thinking of heading to Sweden or finland late May early june. Any information would be great. Irish Dipper

Did Finland same time 3 years back. Get country and cleaned up but a guide is essential. Expensive then, but as Eire has the Euro at least it won't be as costly for you as it would be for me from the UK. When will my people see sense and sign up! As far as Sweden, considered it but went for Finland. Can't remember why, probably due to available ticks.

Hi just thought I would treat myself to a birding holiday for a change and just looking for advice . I was thinking of heading to Sweden or finland late May early june. Any information would be great. Irish Dipper

I have three reports on Finland on my website - click here - the first is maybe the most useful, covering a similar-timed trip as you plan. If anything useful, feel free to ask further details

holiday advice

Hi Irish Dipper

Not sure if you mean advice only for Finland / Sweden or advice in general as it sounds like it's a first re birding holidays. Anyway, I'll keep it brief in case it's the former but just a word to look out for any local accommodation plus guide birding deals, if there are any out there.

They can be very cost-effective by the time you've added in car hire, accommodation, airport transfers, etc. when going it alone, and you don't have to worry about getting lost, wasting time, Plan B in case of weather or species 'no shows', etc.

Of course, that's half the fun of birding so I don't know why anyone would use a guide!

Regardless, another 'tip' would be to mention you're birding to hotels, restaurants, etc if you get chance as it let's people know where the money's coming from and see the value of birding to their economy.

Good luck and as always please let us know how it goes via a trip report.

new thread

Stupid. I forgot to mention the main reason for posting and that was to place this query in the Finland and Sweden threads. You'll get more response.

All the best

HAve you considered Norway? I went there a few years back, combining with Finland, and the birding was brilliant. Maybe it helped that we had good weather, but I believe the birds are always there in the summer at Varangerfjord, it's just the birders that don't like the rain, sleet or wind!

Of course I could mention Spain here....

Steve
http://www.BirdingInSpain.com

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back