• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding guide wanted - Guayaquil (1 Viewer)

Meropes

My partner and I are visiting the Galapagos in early July and will have the best part of a day to kill in Guayaquil before our flight back to Madrid at the end of the trip. We were thinking of doing some birding on that final day (I see that the Cerro Blanco forest is not far from the city). Can anyone recommend a private guide who may be willing to take us out somewhere for half a day or so?

Matt

Some rather fuzzy info coming up. In 2010 we did a cruise around South America and had pre booked some guides. We made some birding friends on board who shared some of our trips and we shared some of theirs. We had a day in Guayaquil and they had pre booked a chap who worked at a nearby reserve. All I remember about it was that it was fenced off and full of biting insects as well as good birds. Will try and dig out bird note book in case we put his name in it. One thing of note was how many of the passengers were mugged around the port area including one pair held up at gun point!

I think this is where we went. There is a number at the end.

Bosque Protector Cerro Blanco
Cerro Blanco is administered by the Fundacion Pro-Bosque (Pro-Forest Foundation), and protects 5,000 hectares of dry tropical forest outside of Guayaquil. Cerro Blanco includes a mosaic of vegetation from abandoned pasturelands to primary forest, amidst rolling hills and narrow ravines. The Bosque Protector Cerro Blanco is rich with bio-diversity and one of the few remaining areas of protected coastal forest in Ecuador. An estimated 600 plant species are found in the reserve along with 33 recorded mammal species, including monkeys, white-tailed deer, jaguar, and puma.

Due to its incredible bird diversity, Cerro Blanco has been designated Ecuador's second Important Bird Area by Birdlife International. With 211 bird species registered to date in Cerro Blanco's forest, including 30 endemic of the Tumbesian Region of Southwestern Ecuador-Northwestern Peru, bird watching is excellent. Among these varied species, a total of eight globally threatened bird species live in the forest and these species are the focus of the foundation's conservation program.

The forest provides comprehensive visitor facilities allowing tourists to make the most of their trip to Cerro Blanco. There are over 20 knowledgeable guides eager to take visitors on any of the three nature trails or you can choose to follow the self-guided trail. A conservation center was recently opened and has a series of exhibits on dry tropical forests as well as an herbarium. The Fundacion Pro-Bosque also offers special tours of its integrated organic farm and visits to the wildlife rehabilitation center to see the forests resident animals. For a nominal fee, there is a camping and picnic area, which includes tent pads, running water, and showers.

The reserve is located on the coastal highway heading north from Guayaquil to Salinas (Kilometer 16.5 Via a La Costa).

The Puerto Hondo Mangrove Ecotourism project, located one kilometer north along the Via a La Costa, works with the Fundacion Pro-Bosque and its community members to offer guided canoe trips through the mangroves. More than 40 bird species have been identified here, including white ibis, yellow-crowned night heron, and rufous-necked wood rail. For more information contact Eric Horstman, Fundacion Pro-Bosque, Casilla 09-01-04243, Km. 16 Via a la Costa, Guayaquil, Ecuador, telephone 04-872236, 871-900 extension 32280.

Thank you - I'd given up on getting a recommendation! I found an email for Eric online, so have sent him an email. If it bounces back, I'll try calling him. Really appreciate you responding to my request.

Matt

Thank you - I'd given up on getting a recommendation! I found an email for Eric online, so have sent him an email. If it bounces back, I'll try calling him. Really appreciate you responding to my request.

Matt

I'd agree, Cerro Blanco is a great site. I was there in March for 2 days. I think they have problems with hunting up in the hills, but the birds are approachable near the centre. I don't take guides but there were several available at the HQ. Take a taxi - with a reliable firm - from Guayaquil and arrange for a pick-up.
Des

. For more information contact Eric Horstman, Fundacion Pro-Bosque, Casilla 09-01-04243, Km. 16 Via a la Costa, Guayaquil, Ecuador, telephone 04-872236, 871-900 extension 32280.

Just to say that I've been in email correspondence with the Bosque Cerro Blanco Foundation via Eric Horstman and they have been really helpful. I've booked a guide for the morning and they are arranging taxi transfers for us from our hotel in Guayaquil to the reserve and back. Thanks again Jeanie (I'll report back how we get on!).

Matt

That's great Matt. Just a word of warning - last time I was there the mosquitoes were pretty bad. Don't forget your repellent!

I said I would report back from a planned visit to Cerro Blanco in July 2014 - I've posted a report in the trip reports section of this Forum, for those interested. Great trip, thanks for the contact, Jeanie.

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back